Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Patrick Lucas <pa...@data-artisans.com> on 2017/04/27 10:21:31 UTC

Official Flink Docker images

As part of an ongoing effort to improve the experience of using Flink on
Docker, some work has been done over the last two months to publish
official Flink Docker images to Docker Hub. The goal in the short term is
to make running a simple Flink cluster (almost) as easy as running docker
run flink. In the long term, we would like these images to be good enough
to use in production directly, or as base images for use in an existing
Docker workflow.

Flink 1.2.1 has some fixes over the last few releases that make running it
on Docker nicer—and in some cases, possible. Notably, FLINK-2821
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-2821> allowed Dockerized Flink
to run across multiple hosts, and FLINK-4326
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-4326> added an option to run
Flink in the foreground, which is greatly preferred when running in Docker.

We (Ismaël Mejía and myself, with some discussion with Stephan Ewen)
decided it made sense to bring the actual Dockerfiles outside of the Apache
Flink git repo, primarily to conform with every other Apache project that
has official images, but also because these scripts logically exist
decoupled from any particular Flink version. They are still Apache-licensed
and maintained by the community.

Please reply here or on the relevant JIRA/GitHub issue if you have
questions or feedback.

Here's a squirrel in a container:

   - FLINK-3026: Publish the flink docker container to the docker registry
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-3026>
   - Repo for the Dockerfiles and the scripts that generate them
   <https://github.com/docker-flink/docker-flink>
   - GitHub PR to add the official images to Docker Hub
   <https://github.com/docker-library/official-images/pull/2895>
   - Improvements to the quality of running Flink on Docker to be made in
   future Flink releases:
      - FLINK-6300: PID1 of docker images does not behave correctly
      <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6300>
      - FLINK-6369: Better support for overlay networks
      <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6369>

Thanks to Ismaël Mejía, Jamie Grier, and Stephan Ewen for their
contributions.

--
Patrick Lucas

Re: Official Flink Docker images

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
We already have a Dockerfile in our source repo as part of simple test:
  https://github.com/apache/flink/tree/master/flink-contrib/docker-flink
but it was never automatically build by our build system AFAIK.

- Henry

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.