Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de> on 2012/06/07 17:45:59 UTC

[UPDATE SERVICE] Update with ODFNOTIFYURL

Hi,

If you open an ODF 1.2 document in OOo2.4.3, you get the message, that a
newer version is available. In German the text is "Dieses Dokument wurde
mit einer neueren Version..." The message box has a button "Jetzt
aktualisieren" (means "Update now").
If you click the bottom it tries to connect to
http://odfnotify.services.openoffice.org/OOo2.4.3/notification.jsp?version=ODF1.2
which fails.

I don't know whether OOo2.4.3 is used somewhere out. But the same
problem will arise with the change to ODF1.3, because for the actual
parameter
ODFNOTIFYURL
http://odfnotify.services.openoffice.org/OOo3.0/notification.jsp?version=ODF
the connections fails in the same way.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] Update with ODFNOTIFYURL

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

> On 07.06.2012 17:45, Regina Henschel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you open an ODF 1.2 document in OOo2.4.3, you get the message, that a newer
>> version is available. In German the text is "Dieses Dokument wurde mit einer
>> neueren Version..." The message box has a button "Jetzt aktualisieren" (means
>> "Update now").
>> If you click the bottom it tries to connect to
>> http://odfnotify.services.openoffice.org/OOo2.4.3/notification.jsp?version=ODF1.2
>> which fails.
>>
>> I don't know whether OOo2.4.3 is used somewhere out. But the same problem will
>> arise with the change to ODF1.3, because for the actual parameter
>> ODFNOTIFYURL
>> http://odfnotify.services.openoffice.org/OOo3.0/notification.jsp?version=ODF
>> the connections fails in the same way.
>>

> Thanks for the hint.
>
> I hope I find the time to have a look - may be I will create a "fake" ODF 1.3
> document in order to investigate this functionality.

I have figured out the following:
(1) The "ODFNotifyURL" is read from the version.ini resp. versionrc file when
the user confirms the notification dialog with clicking button "Update Now...".
(2) I have installed all OOo versions from OOo 3.0 until OOo 3.4 Beta on my
Windows 7 machine. None of them contains a "ODFNotifyURL" field in the
version.ini resp. versionrc file.
(3) In the current code a possible existing "ODFNotifyURL" value will not be
used, because an additional needed field - the ODF version number of the read
ODF document - is not set. Looking at the history of the corresponding code it
looks like that it has not been changed on the OOo 3.x code line.
(4) The "Check for Updates" function is finally triggered, because the
"ODFNotifyURL" and the additional ODF version number are not set.

My conclusion:
We do not have to take care of the "ODFNotifyURL" for OOo 3.x versions and our
AOO 3.4 version.
Thus, I am planning to remove the whole stuff around "ODFNotifyURL" from our
current code base for the next major version.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: [UPDATE SERVICE] Update with ODFNOTIFYURL

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,