Posted to p-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Altenau, Maureen D CECOM RDEC C2D" <Ma...@mail1.monmouth.army.mil> on 2001/10/01 16:35:22 UTC

RE: Error installing xerces-p on Solaris 2.6

Hi Jason,

I have removed the autoconf "stuff".  (The Xerces-C++ documentation talked
about possibly needing the autoconf utility.  Not knowing UNIX, I thought I
needed to run it.)  Essentially, I have started over.  I downloaded the
latest stable Xerces C++ binary file for Solaris.  After unzipping it and
untarring it, I noticed there was no src directory.  I went back to the site
and noticed there were also source files available.  Why were there no
source files in the binary tar file?  Did I miss something?  I did download
the .gz source file but when I went to untar it I got checksum errors.  I
repeated the whole process several times and still got checksum errors.
Since our development network has been disconnected from the internet, I
cannot go directly to the UNIX machine but must go through a Windows system
first.  I don't know if this is corrupting the .gz source file.  I can
download the Windows file (the .zip extension).  I will need to convert the
source files from Windows to UNIX since a carriage return is at the end of
each line.  (I have a program to do that.)  Is there a problem using these
source files?

Thanks again,
Maureen

Posted by "Jason E. Stewart" <ja...@openinformatics.com>.
"Altenau, Maureen D CECOM RDEC C2D" <Ma...@mail1.monmouth.army.mil> writes:

> Hi Jason,
>
> I have removed the autoconf "stuff".  (The Xerces-C++ documentation talked
> about possibly needing the autoconf utility.  Not knowing UNIX, I thought I
> needed to run it.)

Ah, I should check those docs, make them more clear, thanks. You would
only need autoconf if you were planning on changing something in the
autotmatic configuration system. No one ever does that, not even me,
and I modify other parts of the source code all the time.

You still haven't let me know if you are trying to use the XML::Xerces
perl module or if you are just trying to use Xerces-C to build C++
applications. Your answer to that question may influence whether you
are able to use the binary distribution (which is much simpler since
they've already compiled everything for you), or whether you need to
recompile from source, which you may have to do if you want to build
XML::Xerces (I don't have binary distributions) and you don't have
access to the same version of the compiler they used to compile the
Xerces-C binary (you're using gcc, right? and they used some version
of the sun compiler.

> Essentially, I have started over.  I downloaded the latest stable
> Xerces C++ binary file for Solaris.  After unzipping it and
> untarring it, I noticed there was no src directory.

A binary distribution is just that, the binaries (executables and
libraries) that you need to run the system, as well as the header
files for building your own apps and linking them against the
libraries. You have no need for the source code.

> I went back to the site and noticed there were also source files
> available.  Why were there no source files in the binary tar file?
> Did I miss something?  I did download the .gz source file but when I
> went to untar it I got checksum errors.  I repeated the whole
> process several times and still got checksum errors.

This is a documented bug in Solaris tar:

  http://xml.apache.org/xerces-c/faq-distrib.html#faq-11

You have to use the GNU tar utility to be able to handle the
pathnames properly.

jas.