Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Babe Ruth <gt...@hotmail.com> on 2012/08/07 08:08:09 UTC

Changing table types from managed to external

Hello,  I created a managed table in HIVE when i intended for it to be external, is it possible for me to change the table back to external?
OR do I have to copy the data to a new directory, drop the table, then copy it back?

Thanks,George

RE: Changing table types from managed to external

Posted by Babe Ruth <gt...@hotmail.com>.

Thanks Igor!  It worked!

Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 23:26:04 -0700
Subject: Re: Changing table types from managed to external
From: igor@decide.com
To: user@hive.apache.org
CC: dev@hive.apache.org

TryALTER TABLE <table> SET TBLPROPERTIES('EXTERNAL'='TRUE');

It worked for me.
igordecide.com

Posted by Babe Ruth <gt...@hotmail.com>.

Thanks Igor!  It worked!

Posted by Igor Tatarinov <ig...@decide.com>.
Try

Posted by Igor Tatarinov <ig...@decide.com>.
Try

Posted by Jan DolinĂ¡r <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi George,

You can save yourself one copying. Just create a new external table with
different name, fill it with data (either by copying or query like INSERT
OVERWRITE DIRECTORY '/new/table/path' SELECT * FROM oldtable), drop the old
one and then rename the new one to the desired name:

ALTER TABLE table_name RENAME TO new_table_name;

Best regards,
Jan