Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Simon Large <si...@googlemail.com> on 2008/04/05 10:59:30 UTC

Re: Using SASL on a Windows server

On 28/03/2008, Simon Large <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 28/03/2008, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Simon Large
>  >
>  > <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  > On 28/03/2008, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  > On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 5:31 AM, Simon Large
>  >  >  >  <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  TortoiseSVN 1.5.0 beta is built with SASL support and the nightly svn
>  >  >  >  >  book now recommends using this as the preferred way to secure svn://
>  >  >  >  >  communications over the big bad internet. In the TortoiseSVN docs we
>  >  >  >  >  like to include instructions for setting up a server on a Windows box
>  >  >  >  >  since many small companies are stuck with a single Windows server.
>  >  >  >  >  However, reading the notes at
>  >  >  >  >  <http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/notes/sasl.txt> does not make
>  >  >  >  >  it clear how you would setup/install SASL support for svnserve on a
>  >  >  >  >  Windows svn server, nor do the Cyrus docs themselves.
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  The implication is that you need to build Cyrus SASL in order to get
>  >  >  >  >  the required plugins to work with the pre-built svn binaries, and that
>  >  >  >  >  you also need to compile the utilities such as saslpasswd2. For
>  >  >  >  >  Windows sysadmins that is likely to be a problem (programs are built
>  >  >  >  >  by developers, not by users) and even if you could do that, you would
>  >  >  >  >  have to use the same compiler version as was used to build subversion
>  >  >  >  >  to avoid the infamous dll hell.
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  So, my question is: will subversion 1.5 Windows binaries also ship
>  >  >  >  >  with the required Cyrus SASL plugins and utilities, is it a feature
>  >  >  >  >  that just can't be used on a Windows server, or have I just got it all
>  >  >  >  >  horribly wrong?
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > The CollabNet Subversion binaries posted in the SVN 1.5 beta site on
>  >  >  >  OCN include the SASL plugins and utilities.  Please give the server
>  >  >  >  install a try and see if you can get it working.  I think you should
>  >  >  >  just have to add the SASL config to svnserve.conf, and of course use
>  >  >  >  the SASL tools to create a few users.  Please post to the OCN forums
>  >  >  >  if you have problems so that I do not miss your message.
>  >  >
>  >  >  OK, I installed the 1.5 beta from OCN and followed the options for
>  >  >  svnserve as service (no apache). I now have svnserve running, but
>  >  >  there is no sign of the SASL tools in the OCN install folder or
>  >  >  anywhere else obvious.
>  >
>  >
>  > When I did it the SASL tools were installed in the main folder and
> [...]

I still haven't had time to try getting SASL going, but 2 things I
notice with the installation:

1. "saslpasswd2 --help" runs OK but "sasldblistusers2 --help" always
fails to run with the error message "This application has failed to
start because saslSASLDB.dll was not found. Re-installing the
application may fix this problem."

2. The svn-book.pdf included is V1.3 - should be 1.4 I think.

Simon

--
       ___
  oo  // \\      "De Chelonian Mobile"