Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de> on 2009/12/22 17:47:17 UTC

[VOTE] name for target-group

Hi,

I would like to start a formal vote on the name of target-group.

[ ] <target-group name="foo"/> for the group and <target group="foo" ...
for the members of the group
this is the current codebase

[ ] <extension-point name="foo"/> for the group and <target
extensionOf="foo" ... for members of the group

[ ] others

Regards,

Antoine

Re: [VOTE] name for target-group

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:47:17 -0500, Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to start a formal vote on the name of target-group.
>
> [ ] <target-group name="foo"/> for the group and <target group="foo" ...

> for the members of the group
> this is the current codebase
>
> [ ] <extension-point name="foo"/> for the group and <target
> extensionOf="foo" ... for members of the group

I have a preference for extension-point/extensionOf.

target-group/group is fine for me if it is chosen by the majority.

Nicolas

Re: [VOTE] name for target-group

Posted by Raja Nagendra Kumar <Na...@tejasoft.com>.
<targetgroup name="foo"> and <target group="foo">

It is good not have  '-' is not a general convention in ant tasks.

regarding the alternate syntax of <group name="foo">

may have impact in future, if in future one may have macrogroup or other
groups etc.. better way for the same with future proof would be

<group name="foo" type="target">

Regards,
Raja Nagendra Kumar,
C.T.O
www.tejasoft.com

Posted by Martijn Kruithof <jk...@apache.org>.
I would be in favour of using

Posted by Petar Tahchiev <pa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for
[X] <target-group name="foo"/> for the group and <target group="foo" ... for
the members of the group
this is the current codebase

//Petar

2009/12/23 向雅 <fy...@gmail.com>

>  <group name="foo"/> for the group and <target group="foo" ... for
>  the members of the group
>
> IMO, group just fine. maybe later group other elements. If so just
> group again/too.
>
> Regards,
> qinxian

Regards, Petar!
Karlovo, Bulgaria.
- - - - - - - -
| Author @ Manning Publications.
| CEO @ Phamola
| BGJUG-Bulgarian Java User Group Leader.
| Apache Maven Developer.
| Apache Jakarta PMC member.
| Jakarta Cactus Lead Developer.
| Codehaus Plexus Developer
| Blogger: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/paranoiabla/
- - - - - - - -
Public PGP Key at:
https://keyserver1.pgp.com/vkd/DownloadKey.event?keyid=0x19658550C3110611
Key Fingerprint: A369 A7EE 61BC 93A3 CDFF  55A5 1965 8550 C311 0611

Re: [VOTE] name for target-group

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 22, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Antoine Levy Lambert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to start a formal vote on the name of target-group.
>
> [ ] <target-group name="foo"/> for the group and <target
> group="foo" ... for the members of the group
> this is the current codebase

Allow me to be the first:

> [X] <extension-point name="foo"/> for the group and <target
> extensionOf="foo" ... for members of the group

-Matt

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] name for target-group

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Steve,

there will be for sure several release candidates. And afterwards
several 1.8.x builds.

Regards,

Antoine

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Le 6 janv. 2010 à 22:09, Antoine Levy Lambert a écrit :

> Hello Jesse,
>
> true, extension-of would have looked nicer together with extension-point. Maybe Eclipse uses "extensionOf" too ?

When I mentioned that in Eclipse world they use "extension of", it was talking about the vocabulary more than any particular syntax.
For the syntax, I just look randomly into the existing tasks in the doc to know what is the used syntax. But looking closer now, I see different syntaxes. See the attributes "preservelastmodified" and "includeEmptyDirs" of the "copy" task: http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/copy.html
But I don't find any dash, at least in the core tasks. If any change would appear, maybe the better would be to remove the dash in extension-point ?

Nicolas

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] name for target-group

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hello Jesse,

true, extension-of would have looked nicer together with
extension-point. Maybe Eclipse uses "extensionOf" too ?

I wish you would have chimed in before I did the RC1 build.

Regards,

Antoine

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com>.

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
> [ ] <extension-point name="foo"/> for the group and <target
> extensionOf="foo" ... for members of the group

- 4 binding votes for extension-point. (Nicolas, Matt, Bruce, Stefan)
Stefan wrote that he prefers extension-point and would go with the
majority. So I am counting him here.

- 2 binding votes for <target-group or <targetgroup (myself and Martijn).

Posted by Sandu Turcan <at...@gmail.com>.
[x] <targetgroup name="foo"/>
+1, I like that the name it uses familiar concepts, I think
extension-point sounds alien no anyone who hasn't looked under
Eclipse's hood. I'm also in favor of removing the dash in the middle
to keep consistent with existing naming conventions.

Posted by Jean-Louis Boudart <je...@gmail.com>.
[ x] <extension-point name="foo"/> for the group and <target
extensionOf="foo" ... for members of the group
or as an alternative
[ x] <target-interface name="foo"/> for the group and <target
implements="foo" ... for the members of the group

2009/12/22 Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>

> Antoine Levy Lambert wrote:
>

>> [ x] <target-group name="foo"/> for the group and <target group="foo" ...
>> for the members of the group
>>
>> this is the current codebase
>>
>>  Let me start with +1 for the current codebase.
>

> Antoine

Jean Louis Boudart
Independent consultant
Project Lead http://www.easyant.org

Re: [VOTE] name for target-group

Posted by Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Currently I don't have strong feelings either way, I prefer
> extension-point slightly, but can certainly live with target-group.
> I'll go with the majority.

Exactly my feeling. +1 for extension-point/extensionOf, happy with
target-group (with or without the dash) if that is the majority.

Re: [VOTE] name for target-group

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-12-22, Antoine Levy Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I would like to start a formal vote on the name of target-group.

Currently I don't have strong feelings either way, I prefer
extension-point slightly, but can certainly live with target-group.
I'll go with the majority.

> [ ] <target-group name="foo"/> for the group and <target group="foo"
> ... for the members of the group
> this is the current codebase

As Antoine pointed out in an off-list email to me, this is not the
current code base since I made an error when writing the docs.  The
attribute on target in the current codebase is named target-group, not
group.

Stefan