Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Marc Sturlese <ma...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/17 13:35:25 UTC

scores are the same for many diferent documents

Hey there,
I see that when solr gives me back the scores in the response it are the
same for many different documents.

I have build a simple index for testing purposes with just documents with
one field indexed with standard analyzer and containing pices of text.
I have done the same with a self coded simple lucene indexer.

Quering to the solr index with qt=standard&q=title:laptop will give me back
documents, some of them exactly with the same score.
Quering to the lucene index (with a simple self coded search app) with
title:laptop will give me back no equal scores.

When building solr index I have tryied both omitNorms=true and
omitNorms=false. It will give me different scores but in both cases there
are some equal scores.

I am testing this because I have a Solr component with a
FieldComparatorSource wich uses the scores and other external factors for
the sorting. Having same score for different documents combined with
external factors may give me back results in unexpected undesired order

Re: scores are the same for many diferent documents

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
OmitNorms=false is probably what you want. Did you re-create your
index for each test?

Also, what does debutQuery=true show?

You could get a copy of Luke (google Lucene Luke) and use that to
examine your index to see how things score, which would give you
some clue whether your index (and Lucene) were scoring things
identically or whether there was a different issue...

HTH
Erick