Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Girish Havaldar <ha...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/03 15:44:03 UTC

Foreign Language on web

Hello,
in our application we have a text area, where in different language text
needs to be entered, for instant French. Can any one of you  help or guide
in this regard.

--
Regards

Girish S.Havaldar

Re: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Girish Havaldar <ha...@gmail.com>.
Tomcat 5.5
Java1.5.0_06

On 03/10/2007, Pid <p...@pidster.com> wrote:

> Girish Havaldar wrote:
> > Hello,
> > in our application we have a text area, where in different language text
> > needs to be entered, for instant French. Can any one of you  help or
> guide
> > in this regard.
> >

> Sure can, if there's actually a question about a problem you're having
> with the Tomcat server.  Please provide the version number you are using
> and the version of Java you have installed.

Regards

Girish S.Havaldar

Re: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Re: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Joshua Fielek <jf...@centriccrm.com>.
IMO, this is not tomcat specific, so reply to me off line if you want to
discuss it further.

I'm not 100% certain, but shouldn't you simply be specifying the
appropriate international character set to use for that instance of your
application? A text field is a text field, it's the character set the
determines the "language" in use. Any UTF-8 application should be able
to use the international character sets.

The secondary issue is changing your labels, etc., but that sort of
internationalization is fairly straightforward and done in lots of
applications. Our app (see: centriccrm.com -- it's open source) is set
up for internationalization and we have functional versions in a wide
variety of languages.

Girish Havaldar wrote:
>    Ya thats fine if the language is English, what if Japanese or  chines
> text needs to be entered, what are the things we need to provide user, so
> that user will just select the language which he wants and enters the text
> in that language.
>   I think am not representing my problem correctly.
>
> On 03/10/2007, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

Joshua J. Fielek
Sr. Software Engineer
Centric CRM
223 East City Hall Ave., Suite 212
Norfolk, VA 23510
Phone  : (757) 627-3002x6656
Mobile : (757) 754-4462
Fax    : (757) 627-8773
Email  : jfielek@centriccrm.com
http://www.centriccrm.com

Re: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Takashi Komatsubara <at...@time-trend.com>.
Hi,

I'm a Japanese.
Simply put "Japanese Only" notification on the web page, which is enough to
notify the user which language should be used.

Or you can identify which language is main language from the users' browser
information.
If they are Japanese, most of them are using Japanese language version of
IE, Firefox or another browser.

Takashi.

Re: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
Girish Havaldar wrote:
>    Ya thats fine if the language is English, what if Japanese or  chines
> text needs to be entered, what are the things we need to provide user, so
> that user will just select the language which he wants and enters the text
> in that language.
>   I think am not representing my problem correctly.

I agree.

Is the problem that *you* don't know what language they're choosing, or
that *they* don't know what language to use?

(Please only reply to the list, I don't need a copy as well)

RE: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Girish Havaldar [mailto:havaldar.girish@gmail.com]
> i need text, i need user to enter text in
> French, Japanese, Hindi(Indian Language) etc.,.

OK.

> By standardizing to UTF-8 and providing the respective
> Font, we 'll be able to accomplish the things?

If you're just using HTML and Tomcat, you don't need to provide the
font.  That's up to the user.  A user who works in (say) Japanese will
already have a Japanese font installed on their machine, or they
wouldn't be able to use the machine in their own language.

You should probably make sure your Web pages use CSS with font
definitions that have a large range of the Unicode glyphs defined, but
you probably don't need to download the font.  This is a good thing,
given that (for example) the Arial Unicode MS TrueType font file was 21
megabytes last time I checked.

> you mentioned about Keyboard setting, can you please brief me
> about keyboard setting little more.

It's not your problem - again, it's the user's.  A user who usually
works in (say) Japanese will already have a Japanese keyboard installed
on their machine, and will know how to use it.  Otherwise, again, they
would not be able to do their normal work.

All of this assumes that your users are normal Internet users from
around the world.  If you're writing software for a different audience,
tell us!

		- Peter

Re: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Girish Havaldar <ha...@gmail.com>.
On 03/10/2007, Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com> wrote:

> > From: Girish Havaldar [mailto:havaldar.girish@gmail.com]
> > what are the things we need to provide user, so
> > that user will just select the language which he wants and
> > enters the text in that language.
>
> Do you need to know the language in which the user has entered the text?
> Or do you just need the text?

 No, this time,you are almost near,i need text, i need user to enter text in
French, Japanese, Hindi(Indian Language) etc.,.
By standardizing to UTF-8 and providing the respective Font,we 'll be able
to accomplish the things?
you mentioned about Keyboard setting, can you please brief me about keyboard
setting little more.

If you need to know the language, you probably need to provide a HTML
> select field with different options for the different languages, so that
> the user can tell you.
>
> Otherwise, you just need a HTML text input box on the page, and to be
> very careful with your character encodings all the way through the
> application and the HTML pages.  I'd suggest standardising on UTF-8 as
> your character encoding for all pages and all text.  The user's browser,
> keyboard etc. has the appropriate keyboard settings to allow them to
> enter text in their own language.
>
> Or have I misunderstood the question?
>
>                 - Peter

Regards

Girish S.Havaldar

RE: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.

Re: Foreign Language on web

Re: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Heping Ling <He...@mail.lehman.edu>.
Even though I have not done it myself and I do not know if there are other
ways, I do know that by using Struts you can display your contents in
difference languages.  Struts is an Apache product:
http://struts.apache.org/

Jason

Re: Foreign Language on web

Posted by Girish Havaldar <ha...@gmail.com>.
But in our application we are not making use of struts frame work.

On 03/10/2007, Heping Ling <Heping.Ling@mail.lehman.edu > wrote:

> Even though I have not done it myself and I do not know if there are other
>
> ways, I do know that by using Struts you can display your contents in
> difference languages.  Struts is an Apache product:
> http://struts.apache.org/
>

> Jason

Regards

Girish S.Havaldar