Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/10/23 23:03:19 UTC

Framework, Logkit and Cornerstone have landed in SVN

Hi gang,

I've copied over avalon-framework, avalon-logkit and avalon-cornerstone
into SVN at

   trunk/framework
   trunk/containerkit/logkit
   trunk/cornerstone

avalon-framework has been renamed to excalibur-framework. avalon-logkit
is now excalibur-logkit. Cornerstone has kept its name. Versioning setup
has been simplified (and versions bumped to x.(y+1)-dev), the ant-based
build system called "magic" has been removed and things have been
integrated into the maven build.

Random observation: our testcases kinda suck in many places, leaving
around artifacts or failing every so often for no obvious reason.
Another random observation: maven is acting rather predictably at 1.0,
which is nice.

It all builds for me now (a few people running `svn up && maven
multiproject:install` would be nice). As I focus on cleaning up
distribution areas, it'd be nice if y'all could help tackle the following:

  * debugging. I probably made a mistake or ten.
  * versioning. Took a first step, but not sure if I got it right.
  * project.xml syncing. Ie have all excalibur stuff depend on
    excalibur-framework, etc.
  * docs. We need to have docs for the new packages up on our site. A
    first step might be to copy old cruft over from the old avalon-site
    CVS module, but we really need to get correct and updated xdocs in
    place.
  * releases. I really think we need to do a "release of everything"
    sometime soon. The current situation ("where can I find the latest
    release of X?" being a difficult-to-answer question) is terrible.
  * gump integration. Gump needs to start building this stuff from its
    new location.
  * cleanup @ avalon. Avalon SVN needs to be tagged and then have the
    stuff we took over removed.
  * other stuff. Duh.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Framework, Logkit and Cornerstone have landed in SVN

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
>  As I focus on cleaning up
> distribution areas

which is now done:

http://excalibur.apache.org/download.cgi?Preferred=http://www.apache.org/dist

I opted to just copy things over rather than burn many more cycles doing
symlinks. Since I only picked the latest revision of everything, the
bandwidth hit is probably acceptable. I didn't generate gpg signatures,
but I did create md5s for everything. GPG sigs will have to follow later.

g'night!

- LSD

Re: Framework, Logkit and Cornerstone have landed in SVN

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 25 October 2004 11:56, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> GUMP build for Avalon will be shutdown within a month I imagine.  At
> that point, everything should point to Excalibur.

Let's say that Gump descriptors for the projects are created first that works,
before talking about switching from Avalon to Excalibur in Gump.

We are not very interested in starting from scratch again in Gump.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: Framework, Logkit and Cornerstone have landed in SVN

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>> Could you please make sure that cornerstone content has a different name
>> to the current cornerstone builds otherwise we are almost certainly
>> going to get conflicts (thinking about gump here).  The builds based on
>> maven will not produce the same build results as the avalon variant is
>> generating under magic.
>

> hmm. Well, the problem with changing all the names is that it'll be a
> huge inconvenience to users once cornerstone is transferred to excalibur
> completely. It's probably a better idea to just delay building this
> stuff with gump until that happens.

I don't see that there is a need to change many names at all.

GUMP build for Avalon will be shutdown within a month I imagine.  At
that point, everything should point to Excalibur.

In fact, I'm not sure if we even wanted to rename the framework and
logkit packages from Avalon to Excalibur, particularly framework.  (ie-
just say the name of the framework is "Avalon" and that's all there is
to it).

>>>  * cleanup @ avalon. Avalon SVN needs to be tagged and then have the
>>>    stuff we took over removed.
>>

>> Cleanup @ avalon is not the concern of this project.

It will be more and more as Avalon is dismantled.

> sure it is! We all want to minimize user confusion, so we need to make
> sure there's a single place people know to go for any particular
> component. Right?

Yep.

I'm dealing with a major application deployment at work this next week,
so I'll be a little tied up, but I'll help as much as I can.

jaaron

RE: Framework, Logkit and Cornerstone have landed in SVN

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
OK - your choice.
Let the damage begin.
Steve.