Posted to user@oodt.apache.org by niloofar montazeri <mo...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/08 22:17:52 UTC

OODT Architecture

Hello all,

I would like to learn about component and connector dependencies among ODT
components. And have a number of questions:

1) Where can I find DIAGRAMs about the whole OODT architecture (coarse
grained diagram that shows all the OODT components and their relations, not
the internal structure of components such as fileManager)?

2) Where can I find diagrams/documentations about components like
ProfileClient/Server and ProductClient/Server components? There is no
user/developer guide for ProfileClient/Server in Apache's website.

3) I searched the code and found no component named Profile/ProductCLIENT.
But in the 2206 paper, there is a lot of reference to such components. For
instance it has been said that a product client communicates with a product
server over the messaging layer connectors. I searched for the methods that
Product Servers (and its super class, the Server) provide and also searched
for all usages of those methods, but found no calling class that looked like
a connector or a productClient. I appreciate your clarification.

Thanks
Niloofar

Re: OODT Architecture

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Niloofar,

Thanks for your email. Answers below:

The best place to look is the developer/user guide links that show up on the right side of component level web pages on http://oodt.apache.org. I just checked in a number of them tonight that existed on the internal JPL site, for the profile and product servers.

> 2) Where can I find diagrams/documentations about components like ProfileClient/Server and ProductClient/Server components? There is no user/developer guide for ProfileClient/Server in Apache's website.

There are quite a few now. Should update on the website within the next 24 hours.

> 3) I searched the code and found no component named Profile/ProductCLIENT. But in the 2206 paper, there is a lot of reference to such components. For instance it has been said that a product client communicates with a product server over the messaging layer connectors. I searched for the methods that Product Servers (and its super class, the Server) provide and also searched for all usages of those methods, but found no calling class that looked like a connector or a productClient. I appreciate your clarification.

With the latest movement of OODT to REST, we've removed the need for an explicit Profile/Product client, and moved towards a curl/wget model since they support the OODT product server and profile server protocols (delivered via webgrid).

HTH!

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.