Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by arno noordover <an...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/02 10:42:28 UTC

UriParam EndPoint, Component, Configuration

Today I asked Andrea a question about when to use UriParams in Endpoints,
Components or Configuration.

His reaction was:

> The are difference related to the purpose of each element:
>
> - A component acts as factory for Endpoints related to it, so the options
> at component level should be considered with this in mind
> - An endpoint is an abstraction that model the end of a channel through
> which a system can send or receive messages, so everything related to what
> the endpoint does in his work should be considered an endpoint option
> - The configuration has only readability function: if you have many
> options it is better to use a class for this and maintain the endpoint
> code clean without all getter and setter methods. It is up to the
> developer to choose if use a configuration or not.

Based on this reponse I would do the following:
- put UriParam that are more or less environment specific in the component;
- put UriParam that might differ per EndPoint in the endpoint;
- If it is needed for readability introduce a configuration class and put
the parameters in this class.

Questions I have are:
- Did I translate this correctly?
- Should we create developers documents in the new gitbook website?