Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Steve <sb...@velos.com> on 2002/07/30 07:46:14 UTC

Has anyone setup James using Hypersonic SQL?

I have so far been using James file store. (Windows XP, jdk1.3, various versions of James)

In a recent post, it was suggested I move to a db backend. I am not setting up a high-volume server, so I prefer simplicity to power. I have setup Hypersonic SQL with Tomcat, so I thought that this may again be a good choice for me.

Right from the beginning, I have become overwhelmed by the configuration.xml file. While I see inline comments saying "Uncomment this for db support", I do not know which lines need to be commented out.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there a complete HOW-TO on switching from the default, file store to a db store? (This is a new setup so I do not need to load any file information into the database)

2. Can I use HypersonicSQL?

3. Has anyone setup HypersonicSQL who might share the steps they followed? configuration file?

4. Finally, has the development team given any thought to making hypersonic as the default mail store rather than a file system? If indeed a database back end is recommended - as I have learned from Turbine and Jetspeed - hypersonic seems to be the easiest to setup, and can run out of the box (without user setup steps).

Thanks for any and all help!

Steve B.

RE: Has anyone setup James using Hypersonic SQL?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
I use MySQL with Tomcat, JAMES, etc., but there is support for HypersonicSQL
in the Avalon packages, so JAMES ought to be able to use it.  I haven't
tried, so perhaps someone else can give you a config.xml that uses it.
You'll also want to update sqlresources.xml.

> has the development team given any thought to making hypersonic as the
default mail store

Good question.  I asked a similar question about the user store.

	--- Noel