Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID> on 2020/06/10 01:00:36 UTC

Board report for June 2020

Hi everyone,

Since we graduated from the incubator last month, we have to report to the
ASF board monthly for a quarter. Below is my draft of the report. Feel free
to reply with anything you'd like to add. Thanks!

----
Apache Iceberg is a table format for huge analytic datasets that is designed
for high performance and ease of use.

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention.

## Membership Data:
Apache Iceberg was founded 2020-05-19 (21 days ago)
There are currently 9 committers and 9 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members (project graduated recently).
- No new committers were added.

## Project Activity:
There were two community syncs in May, with good discussions on adding
secondary
indexes and fixing some persistent issues, like Guava library conflicts and
how
to support multiple Spark versions.

Development activity:
- Row-level delete progress continues with several PRs merged
- Added support for ORC predicate push-down and metrics filtering, which is
  significant step toward performance parity with Parquet
- The vectorized Parquet read path is passing end-to-end tests for flat data
- Guava is now shaded and relocated, unblocking integration with Hive
- The build changed dependency locking plugins to unblock Hive and Spark 3
work
- Flink contributors opened pull requests to merge the prototype sink

## Community Health:
Nearly all metrics (list traffic, pull requests, and issues opened) are
showing
an increase in the last month, and the community has made significant
progress
on several large extensions (ORC and Flink, notably).

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer