Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/09 13:27:41 UTC

SVN tree commons/proper/math: do we still need the contents?

The Commons Math SVN repo is now rather out of date; last commit is from Sep:

svn log -l 1 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/
r1625967 | erans | 2014-09-18 14:15:12 +0100 (Thu, 18 Sep 2014) | 5 lines

Is there any point in keeping the tree now?

I think it would be useful to add a note that Math is now using Git,
so we should anyway keep the top-level directory for that, even if we
do delete trunk/branches/tags.

Re: SVN tree commons/proper/math: do we still need thecontents?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Tue, 9 Dec 2014 12:27:41 +0000, sebb wrote:
> The Commons Math SVN repo is now rather out of date; last commit is
> from Sep:
>
> svn log -l 1 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/

> r1625967 | erans | 2014-09-18 14:15:12 +0100 (Thu, 18 Sep 2014) | 5
> lines
>

> Is there any point in keeping the tree now?

Probably not.

> I think it would be useful to add a note that Math is now using Git,
> so we should anyway keep the top-level directory for that, even if we
> do delete trunk/branches/tags.

+1

Gilles

Re: SVN tree commons/proper/math: do we still need the contents?

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Le 09/12/2014 20:14, sebb a écrit :
> On 9 December 2014 at 16:18, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 7:27 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The Commons Math SVN repo is now rather out of date; last commit is from
>>> Sep:
>>>
>>> svn log -l 1 https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/math/
>>> r1625967 | erans | 2014-09-18 14:15:12 +0100 (Thu, 18 Sep 2014) | 5 lines
>>>

>>> Is there any point in keeping the tree now?

No, we should get rid of it.

>> Does the git repo have ALL the history (commit by commit) that the SVN repo
>> has? If not, we should keep it.
>
> Given that provenance is so important for the ASF, would Infra support
> a move that did not preserve history?
>
> Note also that removal of branches and tags etc from an SVN repo does
> NOT remove the history (or indeed the files) from the repo.
> So even if the SVN history were required, it could still be recovered.
> And this will be trivial to do given provided that we keep the
> top-level directory.

The git repo has all history, including tags. I have checked it when the
repo was created.

best regards,
Luc

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.