Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> on 2006/07/24 19:13:47 UTC

Re: Tasks for a release

Si Chen wrote:
> Hi everybody -
>
> I'm really glad we will be doing a release for OFBIZ again.  Here are a
> things I would really like to see -
>
> 1.  A release which is on a separate SVN branch with a stable set of
> features, so the incremental releases will be bug fixes that produce
> more stable versions, which would imply:
>
> 2.  That we can coordinate between all the major developers, including
> the committers and any other code contributors, of a feature freeze date
> for doing a release.

With #1 we don't need #2. There is no reason to do a feature freeze, and I don't think the organization of OFBiz is such that trying to do so will be reasonable.

Once a branch is created the procedure from there on out is to merge over important bug fixes from the trunk, and fix bugs that aren't in the trunk right in the branch. Those should be the ONLY two changes going into the branch.

Doing it that way once the branch is created it is automatically a "feature freeze" and so that is not needed in the trunk.

The only time where there might be issues is the period between a release candidate and the final release, but we can address that by starting the branch for the RC? releases and each RC? will correspond to a revision in the branch. The final release will also correspond to a revision in the branch, as will post-final releases based on bugs fixed over time.

So, all we really need is volunteers to fix bugs in the release branches. Doing this job is a LOT of work for a project with the size and regular changes of OFBiz. This is why we do not follow the release early and often approach. If we have too many branches for releases they simply will not be maintained and so that release might as well be an SVN rev number on a sticky note as none of the benefits of a release will apply.

BTW, I'm moving this discussion (starting with this reply) to the ofbiz-dev list. Please reply there for this and other messages in this thread (ie let's move the thread over as this should be a public discussion).

-David

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by David Welton <da...@gmail.com>.
> Are there any open source projects that are not driven
> by a single company that successfully implement
> feature freeze releases AND would have the complexity
> of feature advancements that OFBiz does (this would
> exclude most, if not all, Apache projects as most of
> them are one trick ponies, so to speak)?  If there
> are, maybe we should see how they best accopmlish
> this.

OFBiz is complex, but I don't think it's *that* much of an outlier.
The Linux kernel has a lot of complex subsystems that need to
interact.  Going one step further, 'distribution' type projects
(FreeBSD, that includes the kernel and user space, or something like
Debian or Ubuntu that concentrates on aggregating the pieces), have to
contend with constantly changing pieces of the system, and attempting
to freeze a stable set.  Different from OFBiz, but I think it's not an
impossible problem.  Personally, I think a huge win would be to
increase the amount of automated regression testing, but that's
certainly an effort.

I think it's partially an issue of time allocation - it seems that
currently, most time is spent 'going forward' rather than solidifying,
testing, and so on.  I have the utmost confidence that were the guys
behind OFBiz to change their focus some, they would do the same
excellent job in cutting stable releases.  But it's their call...

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Basically we have the Framework and the application.
so why not have an RC for the framework first, then RC for each application.
I know the problem with applications is interdependence. I believe this
method will bring about a better design that will allow one application
to go thru its process without worrying about what the dependencies on
the other app will do.

Si Chen sent the following on 7/24/2006 11:33 AM:

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Si Chen wrote:
> David,
>
> Without coordinating a feature freeze between the major contributors, it
> would be very very difficult, especially for less experienced
> "volunteers", to maintain the release branches and fix the bugs.  From
> my personal experience trying to create the opentaps releases, a good
> release can only be created if the original version is reasonably stable
> and if the core developers significantly support the effort by helping
> to push the bug fixes from trunk to the release branch.

So, your hope in doing a feature freeze is to get more people involved with bug fixing and maintenance of the releases?

It's an interesting thought, but I think it might back-fire more than help. In other words, I'm guessing it would have an effect of reducing contributions for advancement of new features without increasing contributions for bug fixing and maintenance.

In general we're constrained somewhat by the natural forces (ie contracts, employers, free-time + interest, etc) that drive things into the project. Based on that my thoughts are centered around facilitating contribution and I believe that if we do a good job of this then it will drive new stuff for improvements as well as fixes.

> On the issue of stability:
>
> 1.  I propose that we put this
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-500 back into the main
> code base.  It addressed a typecast issue with field-to-field.

I'll try to take a look at this sometime this week. With any luck there will be some slow time at the show... ;)

> 2.  I think we should take a vote: how many people would like to keep
> current code "as is", so the "OID" data type (used for storing images
> and content) works with Derby and not PostgreSQL, versus making a change
> which would make it work with PostgreSQL and not Derby?

I'm having a hard time seeing a reason why we have to vote for supporting one and breaking the other.

At worst we should have a configuration parameter (like an attribute on the datasource element in the entityengine.xml file).

At best we should look into a REAL solution that works well for both and may address other current or potential issues with other databases.

My opinion right now is that whatever the case we should not break Derby to make things easier for Postgres... The OOTB settings use Derby and that should work properly as the test bed as well as for demoing.

I'll take a look at this if I can, but proper testing and playing with JDBC code changes would require at least half a day for me to set things up and play around and expect to dig deep enough to find a good solution. I can't commit to that for at least the next 2-3 weeks.

> 3.  I'll just keep my fingers crossed about the Geronimo transactions
> manager then.

Yeah, until we find more information (ie good test cases for problems or a good error message or something) there isn't much we can do...

-David

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:39 AM, Si Chen wrote:

> In general regarding releases,
>
> 1.  I agree we should fix the Derby/PostgreSQL issue.  Did you have
> a chance to look at it?  If not we'll try to get to it at some point.

This should now be fixed...

-David

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.
David,

I think in most languages, even if a structure is deprecated, they
would still support bug fixes and what not.

In general regarding releases,

1.  I agree we should fix the Derby/PostgreSQL issue.  Did you have a
chance to look at it?  If not we'll try to get to it at some point.

2.  I agree that maintaining stable-feature releases would be more
work, but that's something I'm willing to help with.  I don't want to
impose too much additional burden on everybody else.  I think if we
could just all share more information about what we're working on,
that'd  be great.

Si

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

> On Jul 28, 2006, at 12:28 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
> >> Okay, I think I see what you are saying. I'm not sure if I like the
> >> change though... If we do it for field-to-field we would really need
> >> to do it for field-to-env, env-to-field, and env-to-env. My hope for
> >> those fields is to get them totally removed from the simple-method
> >> language. They are already "deprecated" and you'll get log warnings
> >> if you use them. They are really old and stem from the days before
> >> the FlexibleStringExpander and FlexibleMapAccessor were implemented.
> >
> > In this spirit it may me good that everybody seing these deprecated
> > warning change these calls for set calls. This will clear the
> > log a littlle bit
>
> Yes, definitely.
>
> -David

I did one, please see ASF OFBIZ-90, thanks

Jacques

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
On Jul 28, 2006, at 12:28 AM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

>> Okay, I think I see what you are saying. I'm not sure if I like the
>> change though... If we do it for field-to-field we would really need
>> to do it for field-to-env, env-to-field, and env-to-env. My hope for
>> those fields is to get them totally removed from the simple-method
>> language. They are already "deprecated" and you'll get log warnings
>> if you use them. They are really old and stem from the days before
>> the FlexibleStringExpander and FlexibleMapAccessor were implemented.
>
> In this spirit it may me good that everybody seing these deprecated
> warning change these calls for set calls. This will clear the
> log a littlle bit

Yes, definitely.

-David

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
From: "David E Jones" <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
I guess I should have been more specific, I meant more along the lines of community driven business application projects and not the more general category of "enterprise level projects" as I wrote.

Postgres is an interesting example of a community driven project that is pretty independent. On the infrastructure level there are quite a few projects, like many under the Apache umbrella, that would be similar I guess.

The trick with business applications is that there is no industry standard to implement to, in other words there is no spec or standard from W3C, OMG, ANSI, Sun/JCP, etc that says "this is what constitutes an implementation of the GSBPBMS 1.0 (Global Standard Best Practices Business Management System) specification. It sure would be nice if such a thing existed....

Early on with OFBiz I researched a lot of standards from various groups like OMG, OAGIS, OASIS, and so on that would not define an entire system, but at least parts of a such a system. The UBL standard might be worth supporting, but there is the issue that not only might it be hard to find sponsors or volunteers for building it, but it might be hard to find users (beta or production) for it...

BTW, another interesting thing that Postgres and various ASF projects have is an origin as a product developed or owned by a company (either open source or commercial) that later became community-driven, or in other words a more publicity friendly alternative to abandonment of the software. ;) In a way it's unfortunate that OFBiz did not benefit from that sort of past as we might have been able to avoid some of the significant growing pains that were part of the more evolutionary process that brought the project (especially the framework, but very much also the applications) to where it is now.

-David

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
Is that really a comparable project?  I know next to
nothing about Postgresql, but their change log only
lists 13 changes over a 3 month time period between 7
people, all of which I would imagine have umpteen
years of experience in just database coding.

In any case, they're maintaining 4 versions (7.2, 7.3,
7.4, 8.0).

I don't think that OFBiz's structure (directory, file
sturcture, etc) is set in stone enough for maintained
release points to be of very much use to anyone
outside of marketing endeavors.  Everytime OFBiz
deletes a file because of reuse, it becomes impossible
to maintain any release prior to that delete (OFBiz
SVN will fix one bug, the release points would have to
find both bugs).

Just my .02

Re: Tasks for a release

Posted by Si Chen <si...@opensourcestrategies.com>.