Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com> on 2011/05/11 04:49:18 UTC

"newbie" label on JIRA

Hi all,

I spent this afternoon looking through JIRA to identify some issues that I
think would be good for new contributors to try their hand at. In my mind,
the qualities of such an issue are:

- fairly straightforward issue to solve (an experienced contributor would be
able to address it in 30-60 minutes)
- fairly tight scope (doesn't require understanding of a lot of different
moving pieces)
- easy to write a unit test for (so we get new contributors on the right
path of testing their changes)
- not likely to be controversial among contributors

I came up with about 25 of these from looking through the 0.22 and 0.23
"Affects Version" lists:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+in+(%22HADOOP%22,+%22MAPREDUCE%22,+%22HDFS%22)+and+labels+%3D+%22newbie%22

I'd like to encourage others to look through any JIRAs that they think fit
the bill, and add the same label. Then, we can point new contributors at
this list of JIRAs -- hopefully this will get them on the right path towards
understanding our project's workflow and give some nice positive
reinforcement since they should be easy to review and commit quickly.

Thanks!

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: "newbie" label on JIRA

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@boudnik.org>wrote:

> Todd - this is a great idea and nice list of JIRAs to take care about!
> I assume you are leaving 0.22 blockers to more experienced contributors,
> right?

Unfortunately most of the remaining 0.22 blockers are fairly complicated, so
better suited to more experienced folks. Of course if any new contributor
has a patch ready, that would be great!

Also, to be extra clear, the existence of a "newbie" tag on a JIRA shouldn't
preclude an experienced contributor from doing an issue themselves. It's
just to provide a nice list of starting points for those wanting to get
involved, since the total number of open JIRAs (and the complexity of a lot
of them) is pretty intimidating.

-Todd

Re: "newbie" label on JIRA

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@boudnik.org>.
Todd - this is a great idea and nice list of JIRAs to take care about!
I assume you are leaving 0.22 blockers to more experienced contributors, right?
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik