Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com> on 2004/03/03 08:46:42 UTC

Copying config.nice to $prefix/build?

One thing that we recently did for httpd is we copy the config.nice to the
install directory.  (config.nice contains the arguments to configure used for
that particular invocation.)  This is helpful for people trying to remember
how they configured their source long after they have 'lost' their source tree.

In httpd, we automatically install it to $prefix/build.  However, Subversion
doesn't have a build/ directory.  So, either we could now create
$prefix/build, or find a more sensible location for it in Subversion.

Any thoughts?  Objections?  -- justin

Re: Copying config.nice to $prefix/build?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 02:00:37PM -0500, Greg Hudson wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-03 at 03:46, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> > One thing that we recently did for httpd is we copy the config.nice to the
> > install directory.
>
> I don't really like the idea.  It's not common practice for
> autotools-using packages (as far as I know), its utility is marginal,
> and it's extra cruft in our build system.

I agree with Greg on this one. It is interesting to know what switches may
have been used to configure SVN for that particular installation, but I
see very marginal utility in it (especially for users).

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Copying config.nice to $prefix/build?

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.