Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Pat Saunders <ps...@comcen.com.au> on 2002/02/06 10:22:55 UTC

[REPOST] Alternatives to hidden frames in Turbine framework?

G'day to all,
 I am contemplating the best way to retrieve data from the server.
 I have been mucking about using the "Pull model" and am very happy
 with the clean manner in which I can get data from the server, and present
 it inside the web page. When it comes to doing it dynamically, I have seen
 it done with frames and basically it looks painful to code and maintain
(and
 many people on the net seem to agree).

 I am curious as to how other bods do it in the context of Turbine/Pull/Push
 model that
 improves in some way on using frames (which really is a hack as far as I'm
 concerned).

 I have read on article at
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/01/23/javascript.html?page=1

 and it certainly appears to offer an alternative that can be wrapped in a
 Velocity Macro, or other templating tool.

 If people can point me to other tools/techniques that would be much
 appreciated,

 Thanks,

 Patrick.

ps. What's up with the server, I've posted twice recently and have not seen
them!?!?

Re: [REPOST] Alternatives to hidden frames in Turbine framework?

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.
> For example, the user interacts with the visible frame, though if you
> (as
> the developer) need
> to access the the database for whatever reason, you just set the params
> of the hidden frame and do a GET request, parsing the response, (with
> some
> help from Javascript
> of course). With the output, perhaps combos could be loaded or anything
> else done using Javascript or perhaps the content sent to another
> window -
> the sky's the
> limit really.

I think I'm getting a better idea.  The idea is using javascript
to allow you to change the contents of a drop down menu, or
redraw a table without submitting a form.  Is that what you're
talking about?  Moving more of the display processing to the web
browser?

If that's what you're talking about, then I don't know of any
other ways to accomplish it.  You'll still need a hidden frame
to send and receive a GET request, and use JavaScript to parse
the response and then redraw the displayed page accordingly.
You could use Velocity templates to format the data into
JavaScript arrays, so that your scripts only have to eval the
response.

I think there is merit to the idea of moving display processing
to the client.  It would reduce the bandwidth required for a
web page and leverage processing power on the client.  But I
prefer to avoid it so I don't have to be bothered with the
dialect and DOM differences between the various browsers.

-Eric

Re: [REPOST] Alternatives to hidden frames in Turbine framework?

Posted by Pat Saunders <ps...@comcen.com.au>.
Hi Eric,
Having re-read my email I agree, it is unclear.
By "dynamic", I am referring to the ability to interact with the database
and hide this interaction from the user.

For example, the user interacts with the visible frame, though if you (as
the developer) need
to access the the database for whatever reason, you just set the params
of the hidden frame and do a GET request, parsing the response, (with some
help from Javascript
of course). With the output, perhaps combos could be loaded or anything
else done using Javascript or perhaps the content sent to another window -
the sky's the
limit really.

Hope that is a little clearer. Perhaps this is yesterdays tactics for some
of the guys here -
i wouldn't know, it's a little mind boggling for a new comer, though I am
interested
to hear your opinion of this.

BTW, this the first I have seen of my three posts, so thankyou for
responding - something
is up with someones (shrug) mail server.

Regards,

pat.

Posted by Eric Dobbs <er...@dobbse.net>.