Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Aneez Backer <an...@yahoo.com> on 2007/11/16 05:47:35 UTC

Newbie Blues : Unable to connect to derby database using JDBC

Hi

Am trying to connect to derby database, but have not been successful.

I have created a database called 24k , and have also populated the tables

Here's the code:

---------------------------------

org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedSimpleDataSource ds = null;
            Connection conn = null;
            Properties props = new Properties();
            props.put("user", username);
            props.put("", "");

           Class.forName(driver).newInstance();
            System.out.println("Loaded the appropriate driver.");

            conn = DriverManager.getConnection(protocol +"24k;", props);
            System.out.println("Connected to database 24k");

            conn.setAutoCommit(false);

            Statement s = conn.createStatement();

            ResultSet rs = s.executeQuery("SELECT firstname, lastname FROM USERS WHERE uid = 1001");

    ERROR

Loaded the appropriate driver.
Connected to database  24k
exception thrown:
java.sql.SQLDataException: Invalid character string format for type int.

Please guide

Thanks
Aneez

---------------------------------

Re: Newbie Blues : Unable to connect to derby database using JDBC

Posted by Knut Anders Hatlen <Kn...@Sun.COM>.
Aneez Backer <an...@yahoo.com> writes:

> exception thrown:
> java.sql.SQLDataException: Invalid character string format for type int.

Sounds like you're calling ResultSet.getInt() on a string column. Could
that be the case?

--
Knut Anders

Re: Newbie Blues : Unable to connect to derby database using JDBC

Posted by Jørgen Løland <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
One more thing...

Your query

"SELECT firstname, lastname FROM USERS WHERE uid = 1001

will never return more than one row since uid is primary key. Hence, the
SimpleApp1 code will throw an exception on line 73 even if you change
the query as suggested in the previous comment.

I wonder if you are misinterpreting the "row" and "column" terms in
ResultSets? Assume the following information is in your table:

uid	firstname	lastname
---	---------	--------
1000	Sam		Gamgee
1001	Legolas		Greenleaf
1002 	Peregrin	Took

Your query would return 1 row with two columns:
"Legolas" and "Greenleaf"

To print this information, you should do:

rs.next(); // Current row is now 1, which is Legolas Greenleaf
System.out.println("This is person # 1001");
System.out.println("Firstname: "+rs.getString(1));
System.out.println("Lastname: "+rs.getString(2));

Which would print:

This is person # 1001
Firstname: Legolas
Lastname: Greenleaf

If you instead had a query

"SELECT uid, firstname, lastname FROM USERS"

you would get a ResultSet with three rows and three columns, and you
could print them like this:

rs.next(); // now on row 1, which is Sam Gamgee
System.out.println("This is person # "+rs.getInt(1)); //column 1 is uid
System.out.println("Firstname: "+rs.getString(2));
System.out.println("Lastname: "+rs.getString(3));

rs.next(); // now on row 2, which is Legolas Greenleaf

or better:
while (rs.next()) {
	System.out.println("This is person # "+rs.getInt(1));
	System.out.println("Firstname: "+rs.getString(2));
	System.out.println("Lastname: "+rs.getString(3));
}

Hope this helped.

--
Jørgen Løland

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Aneez,

I see that your class is based on Derby's simple demo. Once you start modifying
the database or parts of the demo code, care should be taken to ensure that the
rest of the code is still valid. For example, the data verification part is very
specific to the data inserted by the demo.

If you need more info on how to work with JDBC (for example ResultSets), I
recommend this tutorial:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jdbc/basics/index.html

--
John

Posted by Aneez Backer <an...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Jorgen

Thanks for the response. That helped !!!!!!!

thanks once again
Aneez

Jørgen Løland <Jo...@Sun.COM> wrote: Hi Aneez

--
Jørgen Løland

---------------------------------

Re: Newbie Blues : Unable to connect to derby database using JDBC

Posted by Jørgen Løland <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Aneez

--
Jørgen Løland

Re: Newbie Blues : Unable to connect to derby database using JDBC

Posted by Aneez Backer <an...@yahoo.com>.
Hi

--
Thomas Nielsen

---------------------------------

Re: Newbie Blues : Unable to connect to derby database using JDBC

Posted by Thomas Nielsen <Th...@Sun.COM>.

--
Thomas Nielsen

Re: Newbie Blues : Unable to connect to derby database using JDBC

Posted by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Be...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Thomas Nielsen <Th...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by Aneez Backer <an...@yahoo.com>.