Posted to dev@datasketches.apache.org by Jon Malkin <jm...@apache.org> on 2021/05/27 16:46:31 UTC

new c++ release?

Hi all,

A PR yesterday fixes a bug in the C++ theta sketch union:
https://github.com/apache/datasketches-cpp/pull/218

The theta sketch is probably the most heavily-used sketch, so I suggest
this justifies a new release. At least a patch release with that fix, but I
think we've added a few things (jaccard similarity, seed support for more
operations) that could justify a regular minor version release.

Anyone second that? And if so, patch or bump the minor version?

  jon

Re: [E] new c++ release?

Posted by Will Lauer <wl...@verizonmedia.com.INVALID>.
I wouldn't regard the seed support in Jaccard as a new feature, but instead
as a bug fix. You aren't changing an existing API, you aren't adding a new
API or functionality. Instead, you are making something that should work
given the API return a correct value instead of an error. Based on my
understanding of semver, that would indicate it's a patch, not a minor rev.

I haven't looked at the KS test stuff, but that sounds like actual new
functionality, which would push this into the minor rev category instead of
a patch.

Will

<http://www.verizonmedia.com>

Will Lauer

Senior Principal Architect, Audience & Advertising Reporting
Data Platforms & Systems Engineering

M 508 561 6427
1908 S. First St
Champaign, IL 61822