Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/14 18:53:52 UTC

The case for introducing jEditable WAS: svn commit: r1300553 - in /incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes: quick_create.png src/quick_create.bmml

Hi !

Based on previous question I had for quick create ticket box I think
it's a good chance to discuss whether it's convenient to introduce
jEditable [1]_

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Joe Dreimann
> <jo...@wandisco.com> wrote:
>> On 14 Mar 2012, at 17:11, Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> Switching the optional setting links to textbox with typeahead is the manual bit of code.
>>
>> What exactly is it that you can't do with Bootstrap alone?
>>

> Exactly that part ... «Switching the optional setting links to
> textbox» . I was wondering whether there was something to do that
> tightly coupled to boootstrap or alternately , if I could use
> jEditable [1]_ (or equivalent) . The later may be used in many other
> parts of the UI , so incorporating it may be a good decision in the
> long term ;)

Besides all these arguments , I just read «Usage with Textile,
Markdown, ReST, WiKi etc» section which explains a useful feature that
may be used to implement inline comments , citations , etc ...

> .. [1] Jeditable – Edit In Place Plugin For jQuery
>        (http://www.appelsiini.net/projects/jeditable)

What do you all think about that ?
Looking forward to your replies

Olemis.

Re: The case for introducing jEditable WAS: svn commit: r1300553 - in /incubator/bloodhound/trunk/doc/wireframes: quick_create.png src/quick_create.bmml

Posted by Olemis Lang <ol...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Gary <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:
> On 03/15/2012 12:21 PM, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>>>
>>>  * http://code.google.com/p/jquery-in-place-editor/
>>
>> +1
>>

> Do we think that covers all the functionality we need? I think we are
> missing the ability to load the raw wiki source text as jeditable seems to
> allow. I would think we could get work around that though. Anything else?

To be honest I've only tried jEditable for simple use cases , so I
guess I better listen to the experts .
Nonetheless , here I suggest two other approaches :

- Why not to find a substitute for jquery.autogrow.js ?
  Is there a similar script for this in Trac source code already ?

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 03/15/2012 12:21 PM, Joachim Dreimann wrote:
>>   * http://code.google.com/p/jquery-in-place-editor/
> +1
>
> - Joe

Do we think that covers all the functionality we need? I think we are
missing the ability to load the raw wiki source text as jeditable seems
to allow. I would think we could get work around that though. Anything else?

Cheers,
     Gary

Posted by Joachim Dreimann <jo...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Gary <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 03/14/2012 09:09 PM, Olemis Lang wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Gary<ga...@wandisco.com>  wrote:
>> Well, in-place editing is likely to be useful elsewhere - here I am thinking
>> of editing an existing ticket's fields in particular. I am not sure how
>> difficult it will be to provide custom code for these but if there is an
>> existing jquery plugin that already works, that is interesting.
>>
> IMO
> +1 for including jEditable (from a technical perspective)
> nonetheless , license and other relevant subjects still need to be
> reviewed and discussed ... I guess .

Well, jeditable appears to be mostly MIT licensed but I have spotted
that jquery.jeditable.autogrow.js relies on a GPL licensed
jquery.autogrow.js

That means that we will have to at least be careful about not using that
functionality (assuming that is possible) and not distributing the GPL
code. In addition there would be the danger of it accidentally being
added if we ever see the need to get a new version of the code.

Perhaps it would be better to just consider some alternatives like:
  * http://code.google.com/p/jquery-in-place-editor/
    * BSD license
  * http://www.arashkarimzadeh.com/jquery/7-editable-jquery-plugin.html
    * MIT license