Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com> on 2012/03/15 12:47:41 UTC

update service - further information for such a service

Hi,

I have continued the work started by Regina, Ariel and Kay regarding the update
service.
I have documented my findings at [1].

I think we have everything together to bring a corresponding web service back to
life.

I think we have at least two options for such a web service.

If we want to create a 'real' web service which on demand creates an appropriate
response the HTTP GET request contains all needed information in its header
fields "User-Agent" and "Accept-Language" to implement such a web service.
The "User-Agent" field contains the operating system, the machine architecture
and the bundled languages of the installed office. If a corresponding
installation package of newer version is available a corresponding response can
be generated.

Another solution could be to provide a static XML document, based on an atom
feed, which contains as much entries as installation packages for the latest
version are available. For each installation package which defines itself by the
operating system, the machine architecture and the bundled languages an entry is
needed. Such entries need to be duplicated for every existing office
installation with different <UpdateID> in its version.ini.

Any thoughts, comments, corrections, ...?

BTW, the update service of a certain installed office can be tested locally. No
HTTP GET request is involved in this case, but you can test with certain XML
documents provided as responses. You can change the value of <UpdateURL> in file
<version.ini> of your office installation to a local file URL - e.g. under
Windows to something like file:///C:/check.update.xml

[1]
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#A_glance_on_the_code_for_the_Apache_OpenOffice_3.4_release

Re: update service - proposal for temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is released.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 18.03.2012 18:10, Kay Schenk wrote:
> [...]
>>> installation with different<UpdateID>  in its version.ini.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts, comments, corrections, ...?
>>>
>>> BTW, the update service of a certain installed office can be tested
>>> locally. No
>>> HTTP GET request is involved in this case, but you can test with certain
>>> XML
>>> documents provided as responses. You can change the value of<UpdateURL>
>>> in file
>>> <version.ini>  of your office installation to a local file URL - e.g. under
>>> Windows to something like file:///C:/check.update.xml
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://wiki.services.**openoffice.org/wiki/Update_**
>>> Notification_Protocol#A_**glance_on_the_code_for_the_**
>>> Apache_OpenOffice_3.4_release<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Notification_Protocol#A_glance_on_the_code_for_the_Apache_OpenOffice_3.4_release>
>>>

>> The<UpdateURL>  in the installed OOo 3.3 instances is
>> http://update36.services.**openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**
>> Update<http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>> .
>> This is no longer available. This also annoys our users I think.
>>
>> If we can redirect this URL and the redirection would provide the
>> following XML document the corresponding update service in these offices
>> will reply "<your office>  is up to date"
>> The XML document which needs to be provided only has to contain this XML
>> snippet:
>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>> <inst:description xmlns:inst="http://**installation.openoffice.org/**
>> description<http://installation.openoffice.org/description>">
>> </inst:description>
>>
>> Can someone implement the redirect?
>> May be http://www.openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>can be used as the redirect. Here, I think it was Kay, already an XML
>> document exists which only needs to be updated.
>>
>> Note: I have also an OOo 3.1 installed. Here the<UpdateURL>  is
>> http://update32.services.**openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**
>> Update<http://update32.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>> .
>> May be we should redirect all URL matching http://update3[0..6].services.*
>> *openoffice.org/**ProductUpdateService/check.**Update<http://services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>
>>

> Oliver--
>
> Hi -- I missed this post until just now.
>
> I can put this code snippet in in
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
> as you suggest.
>
> ...and send a note to INFRA regarding the DNS changes
>
> However, I'm a bit concerned with telling users (and perhaps folks using a
> very old version) that their version is "up to date" when it isn't.  Is
> this all we can do about this right now?

May be we should revise my above proposal as a temporary solution until AOO 3.4
is ready:
- redirect URL http://update36.services... to the new URL
--> OOo 3.3.0 update service should answer with a "up to date"
- redirect URLs http://update3[0..5].services... to another URL which provides
an XML snippet containing the download link to the OOo 3.3.0 download website.
--> OOo 3.0.0 ... OOo 3.2.1 update service should answer with a "update
available, please go to ..."

A "con" of this solution would be that even, if the download link does not
contain any package for the specific installed OOo 3.0.0 ... OOo 3.2.1

Any further thoughts?

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: update service - proposal for temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is released.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

> [snip...]
>>
>> a final note on this...if I directly put
>>
>> UpdateURL=http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update<http://people.apache.org/%7Earielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update?pkgfmt=rpm>
>>

>> in my versionrc file, it works per Ariel's comments -- 'No Update
>> Available".
>>
>> However, my redirect via /etc/hosts causes the weird result. So maybe
>> something is not quite right with this (???)
>>

> It looks like your local 'redirection' does not work.
>
> You can check your 'redirection' in your browser.
>
> On my system (Windows 7) I observe the following:
> - browsing to www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update using FireFox
> shows me the XML snippet.
> - a ping to www.openoffice.org reveals IP address 140.211.11.131.
> - browsing to 140.211.11.131/ProductUpdateService/check.Update using FireFox
> return "404 Not Found".
> - browsing to 140.211.11.311 using FireFox shows ASF main page.
> - adapting my ...\etc\hosts file as you have done and browsing to
> update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update using FireFox
> results in a connection time stating the standard message which is headed by
> "The connection was reset" - the same you got when you browse to a non-existing
> server
> - reverting the change to my ...\etc\hosts and performing a ping to
> update36.services.openoffice.org outputs the following:
> <output>
> $ ping update36.services.openoffice.org
>
> Pinging sd-web2.staroffice.de [192.18.197.109] with 32 bytes of data:
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
> Request timed out.
>
> Ping statistics for 192.18.197.109:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
> </output>

BTW, the used HTTP/WebDAV client library and its integration into our UCB is
able to handle HTTP redirects which are typically triggered by return HTTP
status code 301 - HTTP status codes 302, 303 and 307 are also handled.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: update service - proposal for temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is released.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
> http://update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update>using
> FireFox results in a connection time stating the standard message
> >> which is headed by "The connection was reset" - the same you got when
> you
> >> browse to a non-existing server
> >>

> > This is what I got when I browsed to
> > update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update with
> my
> > redirection in place...
> >
> > * URL redirected to:
> >
> http://openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>
> The redirect should goto
> http://openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>
> Ask Infra to change.
>
> Or, add projects/update36 to ooo-site and move/copy the
> ProductUpdateServices/check.Update to that location.

yes...I'm just about to do this one above and do some tests...

I will open up an "official" [DISCUSSION] on this tomorrow...

> > ???? which yielded a "404 not found"
> >
> > OK, I will continue investigating.
> >
> > - reverting the change to my ...\etc\hosts and performing a ping to
> >> update36.services.openoffice.**org<
> http://update36.services.openoffice.org>outputs the following:
> >> <output>
> >> $ ping update36.services.openoffice.**org<
> http://update36.services.openoffice.org>
> >>
> >> Pinging sd-web2.staroffice.de [192.18.197.109] with 32 bytes of data:
> >> Request timed out.
> >> Request timed out.
> >> Request timed out.
> >> Request timed out.
> >>

> > right, this server is dead
> >

> >> Ping statistics for 192.18.197.109:
> >>   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
> >> </output>
> >>

> >> Best regards, Oliver.
> >>

> > --

> > MzK
> >
> > "Follow your bliss."
> >         -- attributed to Joseph Campbell

MzK

"Women and cats will do as they please,
Robert Heinlein

Re: update service - proposal for temporary solution until AOO 3.4 is released.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> which is headed by "The connection was reset" - the same you got when you
> browse to a non-existing server

This is what I got when I browsed to
update36.services.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update with my
redirection in place...

* URL redirected to:
 http://openoffice.org/projects/update36/ProductUpdateService/check.Update

???? which yielded a "404 not found"

OK, I will continue investigating.

- reverting the change to my ...\etc\hosts and performing a ping to
> update36.services.openoffice.**org<http://update36.services.openoffice.org>outputs the following:
> <output>
> $ ping update36.services.openoffice.**org<http://update36.services.openoffice.org>
>
> Pinging sd-web2.staroffice.de [192.18.197.109] with 32 bytes of data:

right, this server is dead

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Meanwhile -- do you know how we get cgi to run on www.openoffice.org? I see

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Mar 20, 2012, at 9:45 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
> <ar...@apache.org>wrote:
>

>> Hi Kay,
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 03:42:22PM -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>>
>>> Well interesting...I did some editing of versionrc and now I get that an
>>> update does not exist  after pulling off the pkgfmt=rpm requirement.
>>> However, we can not expect users of existing product to go messing with
>>> their existing setups (i.e. editing files). I don't mind the odd message
>>> was getting before about an "rpm" package not being found.
>>>
>>> I'm just wondering if there's some way to configure the snippet you sent
>>> just do something a bit more friendly for all possible situations that
>> are
>>> currently out there now.
>>>
>>> Thoughts? Any experts on how to create a generic null feed?
>>
>> I tried with my original empty xml file (not a feed) and it works as
>> expected with every combination:
>>
>> UpdateURL=
>> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>
>> UpdateURL=http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update?pkgfmt=rpm
>>
>> UpdateURL=http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update?pkgfmt=deb
>>
>> UpdateURL=http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update?pkgfmt=dmg
>>
>> I can't see why it does not work for you.
>> Please try pointing the UpdateURL to this file
>> http://people.apache.org/~arielch/ProductUpdateService/check.Update
>>

>> Regards
>> --
>> Ariel Constenla-Haile
>> La Plata, Argentina
>>

> Well, foo, when I do this replacement, it does work as you say! Darn! OK,
> let me re-investigate why the other snippet with my internal host redirect
> isn't working quite right! :(

How are doing this redirect?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Kay,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi *,

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Kay,

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.

May be http://www.openoffice.org/ProductUpdateService/check.Update can be used

Re: update service - further information for such a service

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 7:47 AM, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
> <or...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have continued the work started by Regina, Ariel and Kay regarding the
> > update service.
> > I have documented my findings at [1].
> >
> > I think we have everything together to bring a corresponding web service
> > back to life.
> >
> > I think we have at least two options for such a web service.
> >
> > If we want to create a 'real' web service which on demand creates an
> > appropriate response the HTTP GET request contains all needed
> information in
> > its header fields "User-Agent" and "Accept-Language" to implement such a
> web
> > service.
> > The "User-Agent" field contains the operating system, the machine
> > architecture and the bundled languages of the installed office. If a
> > corresponding installation package of newer version is available a
> > corresponding response can be generated.
> >
> > Another solution could be to provide a static XML document, based on an
> atom
> > feed, which contains as much entries as installation packages for the
> latest
> > version are available. For each installation package which defines
> itself by
> > the operating system, the machine architecture and the bundled languages
> an
> > entry is needed. Such entries need to be duplicated for every existing
> > office installation with different <UpdateID> in its version.ini.
> >
> > Any thoughts, comments, corrections, ...?
> >

> My opinion:
>
> This is an example of a "low rate of change" application.  The data
> changes every few weeks or months, not daily or hourly.   It is also a
> high traffic service, especially when we have millions of clients
> doing automatic update checks.  So a static file is probably better
> for server load/performance.
>
> I wonder if the static XML file could be automatically generated via a
> script?  Maybe part of our release script?  (I assume we'll eventually
> have a release script that deals with cutting RC's, doing the code
> signing, etc.)

I need to check Oliver's updates to our documentation, but my thought was
in agreement with what your propose Rob (if possible) - - at least for the
base product, generate the XML nightly(?) for available updates. I hit a
wall in many areas, not the least of which is the actual format of the XML
feed. Then, we get to deal with "fact finding" -- what do we have and how
do we determine products, buildids, etc. From what I could gather so far,
there was some sort of "backend product" that required manual entry of
these kinds of params.  Assuming we could actually manually create (now)
such and XML feed, at some point we would need to spend time in (perhaps)
standardizing on build names etc to do something more or less
"automatically", and by this I mean, not a web service but just a feed
generation.

Then, of course there's the extension updates....somewhat the same,
somewhat different.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

> All seems right. One missing point is the query part of the URL,
> a non-WNT feature related to the package format, see
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/scp2/source/ooo/common_brand.scp?revision=1296424&view=markup#l1031
>
> ${UPDATEURL}?pkgfmt=<pkgformat>
>
> A web service should analyze the query string, pkgfmt can be rpm or deb
> (in a common Linux install set).

the former Product Update Service differentiated between update URLs
pointing to a binary location and update notifications that pointed to a
landing page. In case of a binary location the pkg format is used to
differ between sh (Self extracting binary as UNIX shell script), rpm and
deb (Linux), dmg (Mac) and exe (Win32) for binaries. The name scheme of
binary distributions is also important to get things automated.

see http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/filenames

Kind regards, Joost

Re: update service - further information for such a service

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

On 15.03.2012 14:20, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:47:41PM +0100, Oliver-Rainer Wittmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have continued the work started by Regina, Ariel and Kay regarding
>> the update service.
>> I have documented my findings at [1].
>>
>> I think we have everything together to bring a corresponding web
>> service back to life.
>>
>> I think we have at least two options for such a web service.
>>
>> If we want to create a 'real' web service which on demand creates an
>> appropriate response the HTTP GET request contains all needed
>> information in its header fields "User-Agent" and "Accept-Language"
>> to implement such a web service.
>> The "User-Agent" field contains the operating system, the machine
>> architecture and the bundled languages of the installed office. If a
>> corresponding installation package of newer version is available a
>> corresponding response can be generated.
>>
>> Another solution could be to provide a static XML document, based on
>> an atom feed, which contains as much entries as installation
>> packages for the latest version are available. For each installation
>> package which defines itself by the operating system, the machine
>> architecture and the bundled languages an entry is needed. Such
>> entries need to be duplicated for every existing office installation
>> with different<UpdateID>  in its version.ini.
>>
>> Any thoughts, comments, corrections, ...?
>
> All seems right. One missing point is the query part of the URL,
> a non-WNT feature related to the package format, see
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/ooo/trunk/main/scp2/source/ooo/common_brand.scp?revision=1296424&view=markup#l1031
>
> ${UPDATEURL}?pkgfmt=<pkgformat>
>
> A web service should analyze the query string, pkgfmt can be rpm or deb
> (in a common Linux install set).

Thanks for the pointer - I will update the wiki.

For a static approach it would mean that we would not have the possibility to
provide a download link for Linux platforms. In this case we could only provide
a download website.
For the MacOS X platform we only have <pkgformat>=dmg. Right?
If yes, a static approach could also provide a download link.

Best regards, Oliver.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Oliver,