Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Eric Jain <Er...@isb-sib.ch> on 2006/02/21 14:40:57 UTC

Boolean Precedence

I was wondering:

Is there any good reason why

   x AND y OR z

is interpreted as

   +(+x y z)

rather than

   +(+(+x +y) z)

?

If yes, any suggestions how this could be accomplished most easily?

Searched the mailing list, found something about a "PrecedenceQueryParser",
but this seems to have disappeared?

Re: Boolean Precedence

Posted by Eric Jain <Er...@isb-sib.ch>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> I worked on it to a point, but I don't recall what open issues there
> were when I left it though they were fiddly.  The test case may point
> you in the right direction:
>
>     <http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/lucene/java/trunk/contrib/miscellaneous/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/precedence/TestPrecedenceQueryParser.java?view=markup>

Didn't run these tests (maybe later, too lazy to set up the build
environment at the moment), but I just swapped in the
PrecedenceQueryParser, and all looks fine, and my (admittedly somewhat
anemic) test suite doesn't detect any problems. I therefore assume that if
there are any issues they are most likely less annoying and confusing than
the weird boolean logic used by the default query parser...

In any case, thanks a lot for this code!

Re: Boolean Precedence

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 21, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Eric Jain wrote:

> Daniel Noll wrote:
>> http://tinyurl.com/hzsna
>
> Thanks!
>
> There is some mention of "open issues" with this parser.
>
> Anyone know what these are, and if anyone is still working on this?

I worked on it to a point, but I don't recall what open issues there
were when I left it though they were fiddly.  The test case may point
you in the right direction:

	<http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/lucene/java/trunk/contrib/
miscellaneous/src/test/org/apache/lucene/queryParser/precedence/
TestPrecedenceQueryParser.java?view=markup>

	Erik

Re: Boolean Precedence

Posted by Eric Jain <Er...@isb-sib.ch>.

Re: Boolean Precedence

Posted by Daniel Noll <da...@nuix.com.au>.
Eric Jain wrote:
> Searched the mailing list, found something about a
> "PrecedenceQueryParser", but this seems to have disappeared?

It's moved:

http://tinyurl.com/hzsna

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Australia Pty Ltd
Suite 79, 89 Jones St, Ultimo NSW 2007, Australia
Phone: (02) 9280 0699
Fax:   (02) 9212 6902