Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Jo...@mail.sprint.com on 2001/03/06 15:13:07 UTC

Ant call doesn't use same environment space.

Does the Ant task use the same environment as its parent, or does it
make a copy?

In the project I'm currently working on, it would be useful to be able
to have several build.xml's reference a single build.xml thru the Ant
task in order to set up the build environment, and check for necessary
files, etc. However, when I create a scenario like this, I find that
the environment changes accomplished in the sub-call aren't propagated
to the environment at large. Is it possible to set a flag to save these
changes? If not, would it be feasible to change the Ant taskdef to do
this?  I think I know how to do so, and don't mind volunteering my time
to get this functionality.

What would you advise?

Thanks in advance,
John Casey

Re: Ant call doesn't use same environment space.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
John D. Casey <Jo...@mail.sprint.com> wrote:

> Does the Ant task use the same environment as its parent, or does it
> make a copy?

It passes a copy of the parent environment to the child build -
nothing gets transfered back.

> Is it possible to set a flag to save these changes?

Nope.

> If not, would it be feasible to change the Ant taskdef to do this?

Maybe. Propose it and it will be considered when we discuss the
direction for Ant2 on ant-dev (starting anytime now).

> I think I know how to do so, and don't mind volunteering my time to
> get this functionality.

volunteer your time to lobby for it on ant-dev 8-)

Stefan

Re: Ant call doesn't use same environment space.

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.
--- John.D.Casey@mail.sprint.com wrote:
> In the project I'm currently working on, it would be useful to be able
> to have several build.xml's reference a single build.xml thru the Ant
> task in order to set up the build environment, and check for necessary
> files, etc. However, when I create a scenario like this, I find that
> the environment changes accomplished in the sub-call aren't propagated
> to the environment at large. Is it possible to set a flag to save these
> changes? If not, would it be feasible to change the Ant taskdef to do
> this?  I think I know how to do so, and don't mind volunteering my time
> to get this functionality.

Hi John,

Can you say more about what's getting set in the sub files that you'd want
propagated throughout the build?  You -can- propagate property values
using the <ant> task, but I'd need to know more about what you're actually
wanting to do before I could offer up specific advice.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/