Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ahab Abouzour <ea...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/30 20:36:58 UTC

IIS6 application pools feature in Apache..

Hello,

IIS6 has a very useful feature called "application pools", where you can dedicate resources/worker processes per "application".

Apache, until today, does not have such feature. Is there any plans to implement this feature in future Apache releases.

Thanks!

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Re: IIS6 application pools feature in Apache..

Posted by "Akins, Brian" <Br...@turner.com>.
We have a very small module that limits the number of threads a virtual host
can be using at any given time.  That works well enough for use.

Basic function is:

Post_read_headers:
Check # of threads that r->server is using
If too many return 503, otherwise increment count
Register cleanup on r->pool that decrements the count

The count is just a piece of shm that we do atomic inc and dec on.

That's it.  Fairly simple and it works.  One, if so inclined, could do the
same on the location and/or directory level.

--
Brian Akins
Chief Operations Engineer

Re: IIS6 application pools feature in Apache..

Posted by Basant Kukreja <Ba...@Sun.COM>.
Sun Web Server also provides a feature in which a dedicated thread pool
could be created and certain part of application can be executed by this
thread pool. One application of such a feature is that if some
application is thread unsafe then users can create a thread pool of 1
thread and run that application in that pool. This will result in
synchronizing all calls to that application.

AFAIK there is no equivalent feature in apache today.

Regards,
Basant.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

>  The easiest way to do this would be to run a dedicated httpd process for
> each application (forming your "pool"), and then combine them into one
> website using a standard reverse proxy configuration.

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DifferentUserIDsUsingReverseProxy

Joshua.

Re: IIS6 application pools feature in Apache..

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Ahab Abouzour wrote:

> IIS6 has a very useful feature called "application pools", where you can
 > dedicate resources/worker processes per "application".
>
> Apache, until today, does not have such feature. Is there any plans to
 > implement this feature in future Apache releases.

The easiest way to do this would be to run a dedicated httpd process for
each application (forming your "pool"), and then combine them into one
website using a standard reverse proxy configuration.

There wouldn't be much need for any custom code to do this.

The advantage of this technique is that your "application pool" can be
any kind of server you like - Apache, IIS, JBoss, whatever.

Regards,
Graham