Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/25 22:59:49 UTC

Code-name for JSPWiki 3

I'm kind of envious at the fun the Ubuntu folks have naming their
verisons: Feisty Fawn, Breezy Badger. Now, we wouldn't need to
alliterate, but it seems to me that a code-name for JSPWiki version 3
would be good.

Any thoughts? I'd suggest "Priha" if it weren't already taken.:)

As an alternative, I might suggest "Wolverine" -- because we're
slashing up the code-base, and in heroic fashion.

Granted, this isn't really a high priority, but I thought it might be
a fun exercise to brainstorm some ideas.

Andrew

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.
All--

I completely slacked on counting up the votes for the code-names for
JSPWiki 3 and 3.1. Here are the results:

3.0
---
Haddock 8 (2 first-place votes from Janne + Dirk, 1 second-place vote
from Andrew)
Flounder 5 (1 first-place vote from Andrew; 1 second-place vote from Juan Pablo)
Medusa 3 (1 first-place vote from Juan Pablo)
Albacore: 3 (1 first-place vote from Murray)
Skipjack: 2 (2 second-place vote from Murray)
Scrod 1 (1 first-place vote from Andrew)
Yellowfin 1 (1 third-place vote from Murray)

3.1
---
Albacore 8 (2 first-place votes from Janne + Juan Pablo; 1
second-place vote from Andrew)
Flounder 3 (1 first-place vote from Dirk)
Blackfin 3 (1 first-place vote from Andrew)
Bigeye 1 (1 third-place vote from Andrew)

So, by your votes: 3.0 will be called Haddock; and 3.1 will be called
Albacore.**

**Recognizing that this is a super-late report of the votes, can we
get a quick +1/0/-1 vote on whether we agree to these names?

If not, I'm happy to have a re-vote.

Andrew

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> First, I am an Ubuntu user, and quite frankly, the names are
> confusing.
> I can never keep track of a sequence made up of names (rather than
> versions).

Codenames help roadmapping. You can talk "we'll put that feature in
'albacore'" without having to commit to a particular release number.

These days though companies appear to be more friendly by marketing a
"Tiger" or a "Koala". Numbers are out of fashion and names are
preferred.

> Second, the focus on fish names conjures up these thoughts: prey for
> others, followers not leaders, not terribly smart, short lived,
> perishable and - worst of all - smelly.  None of these are
> characteristics that I associate with JSPWiki (nor would want others
> to).

And all those are exactly the reasons why everybody chooses platitudal
names like "Ganymede" and "Tiger" or "Karmic Koala".  The world is
filled with "leaders and hunters and cute, fuzzy creatures".  Nobody
believes them anymore, but they still do it.

I think there is power in being different and more down-to-earth.  Out
of the box and on people's plates, so to say.  Haddocks are known
personally to many; koalas less so.

After all, this is just a bit-o-fun for us developers.

<offtopic rant="eco-political">
More seriously, because people prefer furry creatures over slimy ones,
few people really care about the ecological disaster in our oceans.
It's easy to eat sushi until you realize that at the current speed of
sushi-love, tuna is nearing extinction.  Haddock is under threat, too.

So any love we can give towards these creatures is not wasted, I think.
</offtopic>

/Janne

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Terry Steichen <te...@net-frame.com>.

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Dirk Frederickx <di...@gmail.com>.
3.0: Haddock  (wasn't thinking on a fish though
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Haddock)
3.1: Flounder

dirk

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com>.
3.0: medusa (=jellyfish, but I like more the spanish noun), flounder
3.1: albacore

regards,
jp

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Andrew Jaquith <andrew.r.jaquith@gmail.com
> wrote:

> My votes, 1st 2nd 3rd choices for eaxh:
>
> 3.0: flounder, haddock, scrod
> 3.0: blackfin, albacore, bigeye
>

> On Feb 27, 2009, at 3:16, Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com> wrote:
>

>> My votes for 3.0:
>>
>> 1. Haddock (fish-n-chips FTW!)
>>
>> for 3.1:
>>
>> 1. Albacore (sushi FTW!)
>>
>> Scrod actually is sometimes haddock (though mostly cod), so it's not
>> strictly speaking a species and does not qualify ;-)
>>
>> /Janne
>>
>> On 27 Feb 2009, at 00:18, Andrew Jaquith wrote:
>>
>>  Yes, that's right. We vote for our favorites from this list. I forgot
>>> to add my personal favorite, "Flounder" (for 3.0).
>>>
>>> So, consider this an official request for a vote for the JSPWiki 3.0
>>> and 3.1 code-names. Please indicate your TOP THREE choices for both
>>> 3.0, and separately, for 3.1.
>>>
>>> The rules: A first-choice vote counts for 3; second-choice counts for
>>> 2; and third-choice counts for 1. The fish with the most points wins.
>>> This is a little different than normal Apache voting rules, but that
>>> should be ok because it's not a yes/no question.
>>>
>>> Haddock
>>> Mackeral
>>> Scrod
>>> Yellowfin
>>> Albacore
>>> Blackfin
>>> Bigeye
>>> Flounder
>>> Calamari

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.
My votes for 3.0:

1. Haddock (fish-n-chips FTW!)

for 3.1:

1. Albacore (sushi FTW!)

Scrod actually is sometimes haddock (though mostly cod), so it's not
strictly speaking a species and does not qualify ;-)

/Janne

On 27 Feb 2009, at 00:18, Andrew Jaquith wrote:

> Yes, that's right. We vote for our favorites from this list. I forgot
> to add my personal favorite, "Flounder" (for 3.0).
>
> So, consider this an official request for a vote for the JSPWiki 3.0
> and 3.1 code-names. Please indicate your TOP THREE choices for both
> 3.0, and separately, for 3.1.
>
> The rules: A first-choice vote counts for 3; second-choice counts for
> 2; and third-choice counts for 1. The fish with the most points wins.
> This is a little different than normal Apache voting rules, but that
> should be ok because it's not a yes/no question.
>
> Haddock
> Mackeral
> Scrod
> Yellowfin
> Albacore
> Blackfin
> Bigeye
> Flounder
> Calamari
> ______ (your write-in candidate)
>
> I'll hold my votes back until a few others vote, so as not to pollute
> the experiment.
>
> Andrew
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Janne Jalkanen
> <ja...@ecyrd.com> wrote:
>>
>> So we vote on one of these?  Sounds good :-).  We should then
>> probably also
>> have a separate vote for 3.1...
>>
>> /Janne
>>
>> On 26 Feb 2009, at 23:14, Andrew Jaquith wrote:
>>
>>> Going with the previous theme (fish), how does this short-list look?
>>> If it looks complete, we could call for a vote on it. :)
>>>
>>> Haddock
>>> Mackeral
>>> Scrod
>>> Yellowfin
>>> Albacore
>>> Blackfin
>>> Bigeye

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Quoting Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>:
[...]

I pointed out to Janne privately that the correct
spelling is "mackerel".

Murray
Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>                              ===  = =

        In the evening
        The rice leaves in the garden
        Rustle in the autumn wind
        That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.
Quoting Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>:
[...]
> The rules: A first-choice vote counts for 3; second-choice counts for
> 2; and third-choice counts for 1. The fish with the most points wins.
> This is a little different than normal Apache voting rules, but that
> should be ok because it's not a yes/no question.

Okay, my vote is:

   1. Albacore
   2. Skipjack (write-in)
   3. Yellowfin

Murray, always partial to tuna.

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Christophe Dupriez <ch...@destin.be>.

AW: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by "Fischer, Nicola (ORISA Software GmbH)" <fi...@orisa.de>.
Hi

JSPWIKI is Knowledgemanagement so I suggest something like Sokrates.

He was a great philosopher and teached the people to learn by themself. Or we take Aristoteles because there is a Aristotle's catfish (Silurus aristotelis) ;-)

Regards,
Nicola

> Ok, I'll bite on the fish idea. Haddock is good. Also: mackerel and
> scrod; how about calamari? :)

How about species of tuna? From Wikipedia:

There are eight tuna species in the Thunnus genus:

     * Albacore, Thunnus alalunga (Bonnaterre, 1788).
     * Yellowfin tuna, Thunnus albacares (Bonnaterre, 1788).
     * Blackfin tuna, Thunnus atlanticus (Lesson, 1831).
     * Southern bluefin tuna, Thunnus maccoyii (Castelnau, 1872).
     * Bigeye tuna, Thunnus obesus (Lowe, 1839).
     * Pacific bluefin tuna, Thunnus orientalis (Temminck & Schlegel, 1844).
     * Northern bluefin tuna, Thunnus thynnus (Linnaeus, 1758).
     * Longtail tuna, Thunnus tonggol (Bleeker, 1851).

Species of several other genera (all in the family Scombridae) have common names containing "tuna":

     * Skipjack tuna Katsuwonus pelamis (Linnaeus, 1758)
     * Slender tuna Allothunnus fallai (Serventy, 1948)
     * Bullet tuna Auxis rochei (Risso, 1810)
     * Frigate tuna Auxis thazard (Lacepede, 1800)
     * Kawakawa (little tuna or mackerel tuna) Euthynnus affinis (Cantor, 1849)
     * Little tunny (little tuna) Euthynnus alletteratus (Rafinesque, 1810)
     * Dogtooth tuna Gymnosarda unicolor (Rüppell, 1836)
     * Black skipjack tuna Euthynnus lineatus (Kishinouye, 1920)
     * Derek Donegan tuna Euthynnus lineatus (Atrane, 1988)

The current version of Ceryle is "skipjack" and I'm planning to change it to dogtooth, yellowfin, bluefin, or something...

Obviously needs to be short and one word...

Murray

Murray Altheim <murray09 at altheim dot com>                       ===  = =

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

____________
Virus checked by G DATA AntiVirus
Version: AVF 19.277 dated 25.02.2009

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.
Ok, I'll bite on the fish idea. Haddock is good. Also: mackerel and
scrod; how about calamari? :)

If we go the mollusk route, how about razor clam?

PS you've smelled wolverine?

Re: Code-name for JSPWiki 3

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.