Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Jörn Zaefferer <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2008/11/04 17:19:39 UTC

Render a Wicket page to a string for HTML email

Hi,

I've found this article on how to render a page to a String:
http://www.danwalmsley.com/2008/10/21/render-a-wicket-page-to-a-string-for-html-email/

It seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. Copying the code into
my app, I got a compiler error on the line where the WebRequest is
created. Using the constructor to ServletWebRequest helped.

Nonetheless, I get only an empty string back, no clue whats going wrong.

I'm using Wicket 1.3.5.

Any ideas?

Jörn

Re: Render a Wicket page to a string for HTML email

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
saving up vacation days for the caribbean baby :)

-igor

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Is the setAjax(true) absolutely necessary in all cases?

Posted by rolandpeng <ro...@cht.com.tw>.
append some more information.
After tracing the sessionId in live sessions. I found several id listed
below:

sessionId1=3F329131CF155AEAA4FB383AD854E510 (normal format,created by login)
sessionId2=7cc3d77e_12766bcf8eb__7fff (strange,created by call render api)
sessionId3=7cc3d77e_12766bcf8eb__7ffd (strange,created by call reder api)

I use wicket 1.4.6 for developing.

Posted by rolandpeng <ro...@cht.com.tw>.

Posted by Xavier López <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Xavier López <xa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by rolandpeng <ro...@cht.com.tw>.
That works , thank you!

Posted by Scott Swank <sc...@gmail.com>.
Ours is running in a separate, non-Wicket process that just generates
and sends e-mail, so there's nothing to step on.  But otherwise yes,
you would want to protect your ThreadLocal.

Posted by cjlyth <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Ertl <pe...@gmx.net>.
 > final WebApplication app = (WebApplication)WebApplication.get();

this will not work reliably unless you created a new WicketTester
before in your tests or are running inside a current request handled
by WicketFilter
(needed to initialize the ThreadLocal Application instance in
Application)

Posted by Peter Ertl <pe...@gmx.net>.
cool. let's put this to the wiki (or maybe org.apache.util.* ???) and
help some people out there :-)

Posted by cjlyth <cj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Ertl <pe...@gmx.net>.

   public String renderPageToString(final WebApplication application,
final Page page)
   {
     try
     {
       return Executors.newSingleThreadExecutor().submit(new
Callable<String>()
       {
         public String call() throws Exception
         {
           final WicketTester tester = new WicketTester(application);
           tester.startPage(page);

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter Ertl <pe...@gmx.net>.
So would this be ok ?!