Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2005/05/08 06:40:55 UTC

ModPerl::RegistryPrefork => core?

Based on the input I had it looks that many people rely on registry doing
chdir to the script's location. We don't do that in the current registry
generation since this is not working under the threaded env and we want
things to be working the same everywhere. There was a hope that Arthur
Bergman will write the code that will transparently make chdir working
under perl threads, but other than an incomplete prototype and the
perl.com article, we still have nothing to put to use.

So it looks like we should provide ModPerl::RegistryPrefork, which will do
all the things Apache::Registry was doing. I don't remember if there was
something else besides chdir. Any objections?

Not sure what to do about PerlRun.pm though. should there be
PerlRunPrefork too? Most likely this should be the case, right?

Re: [PMX:####] Re: ModPerl::RegistryPrefork => core?

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> Randy Kobes wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 7 May 2005, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>

>>>Based on the input I had it looks that many people rely on
>>>registry doing chdir to the script's location. We don't do
>>>that in the current registry generation since this is not
>>>working under the threaded env and we want things to be
>>>working the same everywhere. There was a hope that Arthur
>>>Bergman will write the code that will transparently make
>>>chdir working under perl threads, but other than an
>>>incomplete prototype and the perl.com article, we still
>>>have nothing to put to use.
>>>
>>>So it looks like we should provide
>>>ModPerl::RegistryPrefork, which will do all the things
>>>Apache::Registry was doing. I don't remember if there was
>>>something else besides chdir. Any objections?
>>
>>I think that's definitely worthwhile - enough people have
>>asked for it.
>

> As long as it is nicely documented and doesn't let you run
> it accidently in a MPM beside prefork. I think it's worthwile.

That's the idea. I'll work on it.

>>>Not sure what to do about PerlRun.pm though. should there be
>>>PerlRunPrefork too? Most likely this should be the case, right?
>>
>>I'd say so, for completness.
>

> Yes, certainly, if you do it for Registry, I'd do it for PerlRun too.

Thanks.

[PMX:####] Re: ModPerl::RegistryPrefork => core?

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@ectoplasm.org>.

Posted by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca>.

--
best regards,