Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ryan Wilson <rp...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/19 00:30:33 UTC

Solr 4.5 - Solr Cloud is creating new cores on random nodes

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of building out a solr cloud with solr 4.5 on
4 nodes with some pretty hefty hardware. When we create the collection we
have a replication factor of 2 and store 2 replicas per node.

While we have been experimenting, which has involved bringing nodes up and
down as well as tanking them with OOM errors while messing with jvm
settings, we have observed a disturbing trend where we will bring nodes
back up and suddenly shard x has 6 replicas spread across the nodes. These
replicas will have been created with no action on our part and we would
much rather they not be created at all.

I have not been able to determine whether this is a bug or a feature. If
its a bug, I will happily provide what I can to track it down. If it is a
feature, I would very much like to turn it off.

Any Information is appreciated.

Regards,
Ryan Wilson
rpwilson1@gmail.com

Re: Solr 4.5 - Solr Cloud is creating new cores on random nodes

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sounds pretty weird. I would use 4.5.1. Don’t know that it will address this, but it’s a very good idea.

This doesn’t sound like a feature to me. I’d file a JIRA issue if it seems like a real problem.

Are you using the old style solr.xml with cores defined in it or the new core discovery mode (cores are not defined in solr.xml)?

- Mark