Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/05 20:11:21 UTC

[VOTE] Apache DistributedLog release 0.4.0-incubating

Hi everyone,

Please review and vote on the release candidate #3 for the Apache
DistributedLog version 0.4.0-incubating, as follows:
    [ ] +1, Approve the release
    [ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:

    * JIRA release notes [1],
    * the official Apache source release to be deployed to dist.apache.org
 [2],
    * all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [3],
    * source code tag "v0.4.0-incubating-RC1_2.11" (for scala 2.11) and
"v0.4.0-incubating-RC1_2.10" (for scala 2.10) [4][5],
    * website pull request listing the release [6] and publishing the API
reference manual.

The Apache DistributedLog community has unanimously approved this release
[7].

As customary, the vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by a
majority approval with at least three PMC affirmative votes. If approved, we
will proceed with the release.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
version=12337980&styleName=&projectId=12320620
[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/distributedlog/0.4.0-
incubating-RC3/
[3] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/
orgapachedistributedlog-1006/
[4] https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/tree/
v0.4.0-incubating-RC3_2.11
[5] https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/tree/
v0.4.0-incubating-RC3_2.10
[6] https://github.com/apache/incubator-distributedlog/pull/109
[7]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-distributedlog-dev/201704.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyY7DxeQ0Xnm9sPmXTjwF_yhc8nAHN%2B4VxmD7jjGbyoGjQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Apache DistributedLog release 0.4.0-incubating

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Awesome. I learned a lot from this discussion. We will address these
comments and call another vote.

- Sijie

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the review guys, will come back to dev@ list to update the
release artifacts.

- Henry

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 5:06 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Agreed, however this is where it gets complicated (and at least needs to be
> clear to the contributors, or maybe I'm the only one thinking this is
> confusing/not obvious).  The ASF accepts contributions from individuals,
> not companies.  So while people may contribute to DLog as employees as
> Twitter, the assumption is that you're doing so with the understanding that
> these are individual contributions, e.g. you're eligible to license the
> code under the Apache License.

We assume that individuals who contribute have the right to do so, whether
they are contributing material which they hold the copyright to, or whether
they are contributing company material on the company's behalf.  We don't
document the distinction between those cases.  In some jurisdictions,
distinguishing who owns what gets very complicated -- but it doesn't matter to
us since we trust the individual that everybody who might hold copyright is OK
with the contribution.

> The end date of the NOTICE would always be
> when the SGA was sent to the ASF, where they allowed us to use their code.

If I understand you right (the Twitter copyright notice is at the end of
DLog's NOTICE file), we seem to be the same page.

> ASF's copyright would read the original donation date, however if
> contributions were applied to the original code base those could be updated
> to 2017.

The ASF copyright notice reflects the collection of materials, which is deemed
to be sufficiently creative to be worthy of copyright even when the collector
gathering materials together doesn't hold copyright in any of them.  It should
be updated every time that the collection changes, which basically means
changing it is justified as soon as there's a commit anywhere in the source
tree in a new year.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [VOTE] Apache DistributedLog release 0.4.0-incubating

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 7:24 PM Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 2:28 PM, Henry Saputra<he...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> The question is whether we need to keep this section:
> >>
> >> Portions of this software were developed by Twitter.
> >> Copyright Twitter, 2017
> >>
> >> in the NOTICE file. Since Twitter already signed off the source
> >> contributions, we could probably remove this section.
> >
> > Only Twitter's authorized representative may legally remove Twitter's
> > copyright notice.  Everyone else must leave it alone.
> >
> > Unless something unusual has occurred (like a new SGA from Twitter in
> 2017),
> > there should not have been a need to update Twitter's copyright.  Josh
> was
> > right to flag that as weird.
> >
> > Sijie, I see that it was your commit that changed the copyright year in
> > NOTICE.  It was correct to update the ASF copyright, so please leave
> that as
> > 2017 (and continue to updated it in future years).  For the Twitter
> copyright,
> > please either restore the 2016 date or discuss any unusual circumstances.
> > (Feel free to ask questions, we're here to help.)

Agreed, however this is where it gets complicated (and at least needs to be
clear to the contributors, or maybe I'm the only one thinking this is
confusing/not obvious).  The ASF accepts contributions from individuals,
not companies.  So while people may contribute to DLog as employees as
Twitter, the assumption is that you're doing so with the understanding that
these are individual contributions, e.g. you're eligible to license the
code under the Apache License.  The end date of the NOTICE would always be
when the SGA was sent to the ASF, where they allowed us to use their code.
ASF's copyright would read the original donation date, however if
contributions were applied to the original code base those could be updated
to 2017.

At least that's been my understanding, feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

> > Josh was also right to flag the addition of the "Copyright 2017 The
> Apache
> > Software Foundation" notices in source headers.
> >
> >      http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
> >
> >      2. Each source file should include the following license header --
> note
> >         that there should be no copyright notice in the header:
> >
> > For individual files, contributors continue to hold copyright on their
> > contributions.  The ASF (unlike some other entities such as the FSF)
> does not
> > require copyright assignment.  Thus the ASF only holds copyright in the
> > collection; that's what's expressed in the NOTICE file ASF copyright
> notice.
> >
> > Marvin Humphrey
>
> Marvin -- you said it much better than I could have :). Thank you for
> the clarity on this one.
>
> Sijie, just to clarify, the original request by John to update
> DistributedLog's copyright year was _just_ for DistributedLog's
> copyright. As Marvin points out, you should never be modifying the
> copyright from any bundled software (unless you are changing that
> bundled software and the copyright also changed ;))

Correct - my intention was that the ASF claim should read 2017 in the
NOTICE file.

Re: [VOTE] Apache DistributedLog release 0.4.0-incubating

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
The question is whether we need to keep this section:

Portions of this software were developed by Twitter.
Copyright Twitter, 2017

in the NOTICE file. Since Twitter already signed off the source
contributions, we could probably remove this section.

As for initial Copyright notice, we should put 2016-2017.

Source link to LICENSE and NOTICE:
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

- Henry

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.