Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> on 2003/04/18 17:04:18 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 5671 - in trunk/subversion: libsvn_diff tests/libsvn_fs tests/libsvn_subr

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 11:52, Karl Fogel wrote:
> I don't know.  Do you get the listed warnings if you try to compile
> with gcc3.3? :-)

According to ftp.gnu.org and <http://gcc.gnu.org/>, the current release
of gcc is 3.2.2.  Please do not call things gcc 3.3 and gcc 3.4 when
they haven't been released yet; for all we know, the warning policies
will change before then.

Re: svn commit: rev 5671 - in trunk/subversion: libsvn_diff tests/libsvn_fs tests/libsvn_subr

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:
> If the warning reveals some problem with our code, like "int" being used
> with "apr_size_t" should be, then sure, we should fix it.  But the issue
> is that we're using the type, not that unreleased-gcc spits out a
> warning.

Yep, that's what I was trying to say (only I didn't say it as clearly
as you).

So I think the issue can stay open, because gcc3.3 may be useful in
helping us find actual problems in our code.  However, if no one gets
a chance to actually run a build with, we can certainly defer the
issue -- it's much less urgent now that we have svn_filesize_t.  And
if someone does build with a prerelease GCC, and finds no meaningful
warnings, then we can close it.

> If the warning is bogus, then we certainly shouldn't make our code any
> less elegant in order to silence warnings from an unreleased compiler.
> (Warnings from a released compiler are a trickier issue.)

Agreed.

Re: svn commit: rev 5671 - in trunk/subversion: libsvn_diff tests/libsvn_fs tests/libsvn_subr

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@newton.ch.collab.net>.
Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU> writes:
> > I don't know.  Do you get the listed warnings if you try to compile
> > with gcc3.3? :-)
>
> According to ftp.gnu.org and <http://gcc.gnu.org/>, the current release
> of gcc is 3.2.2.  Please do not call things gcc 3.3 and gcc 3.4 when
> they haven't been released yet; for all we know, the warning policies
> will change before then.

Should issue #1031 be invalid, then?  Is there reason to suspect that
the warnings generated by whatever-you-want-to-call-unreleased-gcc are
bogus?  (I mean, whether or not the warnings eventually go away
because the compiler's policy changes, they may still reveal problems
right now.)

I don't know the answers to these questions.  It just strikes me that
the issue here isn't whether we should refer to the next GCC as "3.3",
but whether we should be treating its warnings as useful information
:-).