Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/21 22:23:27 UTC

[m1] review of plugins to release

Hi guys,

  We have actually in the pipe the following plugins to release for maven
1.1 RC1 [1][2]:
  - artifact 1.9
  - changelog 1.9.2
  - dist 1.7.1
  - eclipse 1.11.1
  - ejb 1.7.3
  - linkcheck 1.4.1
  - multiproject 1.5.1
  - nsis 2.1
  - test 1.8.1
  - war 1.6.3
  - xdoc 1.10.1
  With the last snapshot of the artifact plugin, a release is done in few
minutes ;-) The longest is to wait 72h for the vote !

  Thus I have some doubts about some others plugins which have changes
already applied [3] that could justify a new release :
  - artifact 1.8.1 should be created and released to solve the issue we had
in the maven 1.1 beta 3 [4]. Due to the upgrade of wagon, the plugin in the
trunk isn't compatible with maven 1.1-beta-3. Is it necessary ?
  - idea 1.7 : 1 new feature
  - jalopy 1.5.1 : 1 new feature
  - jar 1.9 : 1 minor fix (perhaps a version 1.8.1?)
  - javadoc 1.9 : 1 new feature and 1 fix (the page will be updated in some
hours)
  - jxr 1.6 : should we try to use jxr 2.1 ?
  - multichanges 1.3 : 2 new features
  - plugin 1.8 : 1 fix (perhaps a version 1.7.1)

WDYT ?

Arnaud

[1] http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN-1769
[2] http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/Maven+1.1+plugin
[3]
http://maven.zones.apache.org/~continuum/staging-sites/m1-plugins/maven-1.x/plugins/bundled/multichanges-report-next.html
[4] http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/news.html

RE: [m1] review of plugins to release

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.
Agreed.  Putting the "release management" hat on, "betas", "RCs", etc. are
not much of a beta/RC when they keep adding new functionality....they are
continued development releases.  :-)

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
On 22/04/07, Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com> wrote:

> [...]

I think that everythink is ready. I just have to finish some changes on
nsis. All the others plugins are ready. I have no more pending work on them.
The core is also ready (just some tasks related to nsis).

On the other hand, 1.1 has been years in the making, what's another week or
> so!?  ;-)

I would like to  deliver  the  RC1 ASAP, because in some weeks (mid may)
I'll move in a new apartment and thus I'll certainly have one month of
inactivity.

> > There will be further plugin updates/releases after m1.1 final, so
> perhaps
> > > "none" is just fine anyway (just the inconvenience of the
> > > not-bundled-in-the-release issue...).

> we
> > > had
> in
> > > the
> > >
> > > I'm not sure of your question...
> > > You mention maven 1.1-beta-3, which at this point doesn't matter to me
> (I
> > > consider the beta's obsolete by the RC's).  Is there a problem with
> > > artifact
> > > and the RC?
> >

> > Some/Few/A lot ? of users aren't using snapshots of the RC1 but the last
> > beta. For those ones they need the artifact plugin 1.8.1 but our
> snapshot
> of
> > this plugin aren't compatible with the beta 3. Do we have to deliver to
> them
> > a version 1.8.1 of this plugin because the note we gave on the news is
> now
> > erroneous ?
>
> Hmm, that makes me wonder then why it is still a snapshot and not released
> ;-)

A big error ;-)

It is kinda funny to release something to support a beta, especially one
> that is about to be superseded by a RC!  That's equivalent to treating
> beta's as a release (backwards compatibility).

I know. It's why I ask. Maven users are so much getting used to use
snapshots, alpha, beta and others ;-)

I consider the beta's dead, especially once the RC1 is released and not just
> snapshots.

+1

I respect the fact that you did some changes to make things compatible with
> 1.0; that was good because 1.0 is a true final release.  Alphas, Betas,
> and
> RCs are just milestone releases/"test drives" on the way to the final
> release.  (the problem with m1.1 is that it has truly had many final
> releases - IMO a couple of the betas and RCs were release quality and
> could
> have been made final :-).

That's right

I think the main reason not to do this artifact backwards-beta-compatible
> release is the time it takes to do it.  That may not take very long, but
> it
> does take time away from direct RC work.
>
> However, not trying to be "mean"/insensitive about user needs...
> It is one of those things that is good to get user feedback on, but what
> is
> the decision criteria?  What is the "threshold of need" - if one person
> says
> "I need it", will you do it?

We'll see. We are near to the RC1 thus we can  ask to wait and we can deploy
a new snapshot of the RC1 (hopping it will be 100% compatible)

If the team can define the decision criteria, then we can know "if we need
> to".  If there is no criteria, then the answer is "no need".

ok for no need ;-)

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Jensen <je...@upstairstechnology.com>.