Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov> on 2006/08/31 04:54:39 UTC

Newbie Question

Hi,

I am a newbie coming from the world of CVS.

There are a lot of things tripping me up:

(1) I need to be able to do a svn update on a project that someone on my
team has already checkout.  The problem: Their username is stored in
".svn"

How did we handle this in CVS, well it was easy: cvs -d $CVSROOT update

How do we make this happen in SVN?

I tried svn update --username williams but it still prompted me for my
colleague's password.  By the way I am using svn+ssh.

(2) I want to do simple email notification with the hooks feature.  So,
I have made some progress but when my colleague makes a commit an email
comes to me with my name as if I were the one that made the commit.

CVS administration was much easier. :)  Maybe because I was so used to
CVS.  My mail scheme was setup so nice in CVS; I just want to migrate
the same scheme over but can't find a simple/painless way to do it.

I thank this mailing list in advance for any help.

Thanks,
Ernesto

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.
On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 18:10 -0400, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 8/31/2006 4:35 PM, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> >> You need to switch the WC to a URL that doesn't include the username.
> >> Then svn will use the currently logged-in username.  If you don't want
> >> it to do that, you need to tell it to send a different name to ssh.  You
> >> can configure that in your config file (see the "SSH authentication and
> >> authorization" section in the SVN book), or using the SVN_SSH
> >> environment variable.
> > Thanks for the reference in the book.
> >
> > What exactly do I set the env variable to?
> >
> > The following does not work.
> > export SVN_SSH=svn+ssh://williams@ics-srv01
> >
> > Can you give me a working example?
>
> It's the command that svn will use to invoke ssh.  So I can't really
> tell you what it should be on your system, but something like
>
> export SVN_SSH=/usr/bin/ssh -l williams
>
> should work.  Then svn will use it as the prefix for the command that
> opens the tunnel to ics-srv01.  As far as I know, this works just the
> way it does in cvs using CVS_RSH.

SVN_SSH would be the best solution since doing a svn --relocate plays
back and forth between developers.  Every developer on the team would
have to first relocate and then do a svn update.

Thank you!!! This is actually the best solution and it works!!!
Now we are looking more like CVS. I can deal with this one.

[williams@ics-srv-phy1 svn-xaldev]$ export SVN_SSH='/usr/bin/ssh -l
williams'
[williams@ics-srv-phy1 svn-xaldev]$ svn update
williams@ics-srv01's password:
U  gov/sns/apps/sclmonitor/LLRFPanel.java
U  gov/sns/xal/smf/impl/Solenoid.java
Updated to revision 6747.

Ernest

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 1, 2006, at 00:59, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

>>> Are you not surprised that SVN has two commands to perform this
>>> operation where as CVS only required one?
>>
>> Which two commands?
>
> svn --relocate
> svn update

But those two commands do two completely unrelated things.

"svn update" contacts the Subversion server and asks it to send the
client all the changes that have occurred in the repository since the
last update.

"svn switch --relocate" walks through a working copy and updates its
concept of where the repository is located, and never contacts the
Subversion server.

>> Which operation?
>
> I just want to do a svn update on an already checked out working copy.
> The problem is that another user checkout the working copy.

Ok, yes, that is the problem. AFAIK Subversion is designed on the
theory that everybody has their own workspace. When you work against
that assumption you sometimes have to do some additional work, in
this case relocate the working copy before a different user can work
with it.

RE: Newbie Question

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.
On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 12:15 +1200, Gavin Lambert wrote:
> Quoth Ernest L. Williams Jr. <ma...@ornl.gov>:
> > No.  There are other collaborative ways in which works
> > happens. We have some development servers in which we may put
> > a project in a place that's shared by multiple developers.
> > Developer 1 goes home and requests that Developer 2 update
> > the project.
>
> In which case instead of switching back and forth between developer
> logins, you could create a shared login for the server.  That'd probably
> be perfect if you only want the server's working copy to update, never
> commit (since you can then enforce that by restricting the account to
> read-only).
>
> It's probably less than ideal if you want to commit from the server as
> well (since you lose the info on which developer did the committing),
> but depending on your other procedures this may not be a deal-breaker.

Again, we would like to work as we did in the CVS world.  Except that we
want to take advantage of all the nice features of SVN.

Once again, SVN_SSH is the answer for us.

Thanks,
Ernesto

RE: Newbie Question

Posted by Gavin Lambert <ga...@compacsort.com>.

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.
On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 00:43 +0200, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Sep 1, 2006, at 00:29, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> >> You will want to replace 'tap@ics-srv01' in the second trunk with
> >> your
> >> own username. the ssh layer is trying to use 'tap' as the
> >> username, if
> >> you replace it with yours, you should get access.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.  Finally it works. :)
> >
> > Are you not surprised that SVN has two commands to perform this
> > operation where as CVS only required one?
>
> Which two commands?
svn --relocate
svn update

> Which operation?

I just want to do a svn update on an already checked out working copy.
The problem is that another user checkout the working copy.

> > I am trying to get used to the complexity of SVN when it comes to a
> > multi-user collaborative project.  CVS has many disadvantages but
> > command syntax, execution, and basic administration seemed easier.
> > Although, I have been using CVS for a long time so my bias is showing.
>
> I still haven't understood why you're having to do this at all. Why
> are you reusing someone else's working copy? Everybody should have
> their own working copy in which they do their work.
No.  There are other collaborative ways in which works happens.
We have some development servers in which we may put a project in a
place that's shared by multiple developers.  Developer 1 goes home and
requests that Developer 2 update the project.

Sometimes developers work in their own sandbox as well.

Once, we have a RELEASE then things work differently.

Well, anyway that was how we did things sometimes in CVS and a simple
cvs -d $CVSROOT is what most people turned into an alias.

Nevertheless, one of the SVN users showed me how to use SVN_SSH and now
we are in business.

Thanks for everyone's help. :)

Thanks,
Ernesto

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 1, 2006, at 00:29, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 12:05 -0500, Andrew Melo wrote:
>
>> Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> That also does not work:
>>>
>>> [williams@ics-srv-phy1 svn-xaldev]$ svn switch --relocate svn
>>> +ssh://tap@ics-srv01/sns/ADE/svnTop/svnroot/xaldev/trunk svn
>>> +ssh://tap@ics-srv01/sns/ADE/svnTop/svnroot/xaldev/trunk
>>> tap@ics-srv01's password:
>>
>> You will want to replace 'tap@ics-srv01' in the second trunk with
>> your
>> own username. the ssh layer is trying to use 'tap' as the
>> username, if
>> you replace it with yours, you should get access.
>
> Thanks for your help.  Finally it works. :)
>
> Are you not surprised that SVN has two commands to perform this
> operation where as CVS only required one?

Which two commands? Which operation?

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.
On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 12:05 -0500, Andrew Melo wrote:
> Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> > That also does not work:
> >

> > [williams@ics-srv-phy1 svn-xaldev]$ svn switch --relocate svn
> > +ssh://tap@ics-srv01/sns/ADE/svnTop/svnroot/xaldev/trunk svn
> > +ssh://tap@ics-srv01/sns/ADE/svnTop/svnroot/xaldev/trunk
> > tap@ics-srv01's password:
> >

> You will want to replace 'tap@ics-srv01' in the second trunk with your
> own username. the ssh layer is trying to use 'tap' as the username, if
> you replace it with yours, you should get access.

Thanks for your help.  Finally it works. :)

Are you not surprised that SVN has two commands to perform this
operation where as CVS only required one?

I am trying to get used to the complexity of SVN when it comes to a
multi-user collaborative project.  CVS has many disadvantages but
command syntax, execution, and basic administration seemed easier.
Although, I have been using CVS for a long time so my bias is showing.

I will try and hang in there through the learning curve. :)

Thanks to the users who help get svn update going.

Success:

+ssh://williams@ics-srv01/sns/ADE/svnTop/svnroot/xaldev/trunk
williams@ics-srv01's password:
[williams@ics-srv-phy1 svn-xaldev]$ svn update
williams@ics-srv01's password:
U  gov/sns/apps/sclmonitor/LLRFPanel.java
D  gov/sns/apps/mpx/resources/.cvsignore
U  gov/sns/apps/diagtiming/BPMPane.java
U  gov/sns/apps/jeri/test/JdbcTestFixture.java
U  gov/sns/apps/jeri/test/fixtures/JDBCTestFixture.java
U  gov/sns/apps/jeri/tools/database/swing/EditableQueryTableModel.java
U  gov/sns/apps/jeri/apps/blmbrowser/BLMBrowserModule.java
U  gov/sns/apps/jeri/apps/blmbrowser/ThreadedBLMBrowserModule.java
U  gov/sns/apps/jeri/apps/blmbrowser/BLMBrowserModuleTester.java
U  gov/sns/apps/jeri/apps/blmbrowser/BLMBrowserUserInterface.java
U  gov/sns/apps/jeri/data/Detector.java
U  gov/sns/apps/jeri/resources/rdb.properties
U  gov/sns/apps/pvbrowser/PVBrowserPVDocumentTableModel.java

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Andrew Melo <an...@world-of-frags.com>.

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by "Ernest L. Williams Jr." <er...@ornl.gov>.
On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 08:28 -0600, Gary Thomas wrote:
> Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:

> >> If you just hit enter when it asks for a password, then it should ask
> >> for a username as well.
> >
> > Because we are using svn+ssh here is what happens:
> >

> > [williams@ics-srv-phy1 svn-xaldev]$ svn update
> > tap@ics-srv01's password
> >
> > The url that my colleague used to checkout a working copy has his
> > username there.  Again, in CVS we were able to override this by
> > specifying cvs -d <my CVSROOT> update
> >
> > So, how can we do something similar with SVN.
>
> You should be able to fix this by doing 'svn switch --relocate '
> which will change the repository information for your tree.  Then
> you can run 'svn update'

That also does not work:

[williams@ics-srv-phy1 svn-xaldev]$ svn switch --relocate svn
+ssh://tap@ics-srv01/sns/ADE/svnTop/svnroot/xaldev/trunk svn
+ssh://tap@ics-srv01/sns/ADE/svnTop/svnroot/xaldev/trunk
tap@ics-srv01's password:

Appears that anything done relative to the working copy uses what is
stored in ".svn"

switch (sw): Update the working copy to a different URL.
usage: 1. switch URL [PATH]
       2. switch --relocate FROM TO [PATH...]

  1. Update the working copy to mirror a new URL within the repository.
     This behaviour is similar to 'svn update', and is the way to
     move a working copy to a branch or tag within the same repository.

  2. Rewrite working copy URL metadata to reflect a syntactic change
only.
     This is used when repository's root URL changes (such as a schema
     or hostname change) but your working copy still reflects the same
     directory within the same repository.

Valid options:
  -r [--revision] arg      : ARG (some commands also take ARG1:ARG2
range)
                             A revision argument can be one of:
                                NUMBER       revision number
                                "{" DATE "}" revision at start of the
date
                                "HEAD"       latest in repository
                                "BASE"       base rev of item's working
copy
                                "COMMITTED"  last commit at or before
BASE
                                "PREV"       revision just before
COMMITTED
  -N [--non-recursive]     : operate on single directory only
  -q [--quiet]             : print as little as possible
  --diff3-cmd arg          : use ARG as merge command
  --relocate               : relocate via URL-rewriting
  --username arg           : specify a username ARG
  --password arg           : specify a password ARG
  --no-auth-cache          : do not cache authentication tokens
  --non-interactive        : do no interactive prompting
  --config-dir arg         : read user configuration files from
directory ARG

Re: Newbie Question

Posted by Gary Thomas <ga...@mlbassoc.com>.

RE: Newbie Question