Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by mike nicholaides <mi...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/13 19:27:45 UTC

Why doesn't svn merge short-circuit when left and right are identical revisions?

Hey guys,
I'm making a little tool to make working with branches easier for
other developers on my team, and I noticed that when I do this:

svn merge -r113:113 file:///c:/repos/someProject/branches/myBranch
c:\www\working_copy

It takes a long time.  I expect merges to take a while because the
project is about 1.3GB, but in this particular case, it seems like it
should be go really fast because the revision numbers of the LHS and
RHS are the same.  Logically, there aren't going to be any differences
between  the same revision.

What else is "svn merge" doing besides taking the difference between
the two revisions and applying those differences to my working copy?
If nothing, then maybe I can save some time by checking to make sure
the revisions differ before merging.

Thanks,
Mike

--
http://ablegray.com

Re: Why doesn't svn merge short-circuit when left and right are identical revisions?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 6/13/06, mike nicholaides <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
> I'm making a little tool to make working with branches easier for
> other developers on my team, and I noticed that when I do this:
>
> svn merge -r113:113 file:///c:/repos/someProject/branches/myBranch
> c:\www\working_copy
>
> It takes a long time.  I expect merges to take a while because the
> project is about 1.3GB, but in this particular case, it seems like it
> should be go really fast because the revision numbers of the LHS and
> RHS are the same.  Logically, there aren't going to be any differences
> between  the same revision.
>
> What else is "svn merge" doing besides taking the difference between
> the two revisions and applying those differences to my working copy?
> If nothing, then maybe I can save some time by checking to make sure
> the revisions differ before merging.

It probably just doesn't check if both sides are the same.

I mean it's not like you often merge the difference between A@REV and
A@REV into something ;-)

-garrett