Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Kylo Ginsberg <ky...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/28 00:35:24 UTC

Modifying log message in the pre-commit hook?

I know the subversion party line is "thou shalt not modify a
transaction in the pre-commit hook" but I have to ask anyway ;>.

Is there any harm in massaging the log message component?  (And, can I do so?)

Thanks,
Kylo

Re: Modifying log message in the pre-commit hook?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 27, 2007, at 19:35, Kylo Ginsberg wrote:

> I know the subversion party line is "thou shalt not modify a
> transaction in the pre-commit hook" but I have to ask anyway ;>.
>
> Is there any harm in massaging the log message component?  (And,
> can I do so?)

Modifying the revision properties should do no harm (and svn:log is a
revision property)... But I'm not sure how to set a revision property
of a transaction... Maybe it doesn't have any yet, because it is not
a revision yet? Looking at the help of "svn propset" and "svnadmin
setlog" I only see the -r option to specify a revision number, and no
-t option to specify at transaction ID.

I know you can set the log of the revision, after it's been
committed, in the post-commit hook, using "svnadmin setlog -r $REPO
$REV $FILE" (where $FILE is a file containing the new log message).
At least that's what the help says.