Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net> on 2004/03/24 12:47:05 UTC

to the non-committer folks in our communities...

Sometimes people report bugs and/or post patches on these lists and for
whatever reason they are never properly addressed.  Discussion on the list is
great, but it is all too easy for the e-mails move out of sight.  The mail
arrives all too quickly.  The best action you can take to avoid the bit bucket
for your bug reports and patches is to open a problem report at
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/.  If a patch is associated with it, once you
create the bug report go back to the report to attach the patch and add
"PatchAvailable" to the keywords field.

(Maybe a more eloquent version of this message needs to be automagically posted
every couple of weeks?

I've had the recent "opportunity" to re-debug a problem which is in every
Apache since 1.3.2.  Once you know what to google for, you can find posts over
the ages describing the problem.  Even a patch.  But never finally fixed and no
entry in bugzilla for 1.3.x or 2.0.x.)

Re: to the non-committer folks in our communities...

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@attglobal.net>.
Nick Kew wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Jeff Trawick wrote:
>

>>Sometimes people report bugs and/or post patches on these lists and for
>>whatever reason they are never properly addressed.  Discussion on the list is
>>great, but it is all too easy for the e-mails move out of sight.  The mail
>>arrives all too quickly.  The best action you can take to avoid the bit bucket
>>for your bug reports and patches is to open a problem report at
>>http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/.  If a patch is associated with it, once you
>>create the bug report go back to the report to attach the patch and add
>>"PatchAvailable" to the keywords field.
>

> Jeff, thanks for that.  Having seen a couple of patches fall into a
> black hole - and one recently get committed - it had been in the back
> of my mind to ask about attaching patches to a bug report.  Now you've
> answered for me, I'll do that in future.
>
> Perhaps that should go into the developer docs?

sounds reasonable to me ;)

if you start at

* httpd.apache.org
   click on "Developer Info" under Get Involved
   click on "code patches" under Feedback and contributions
   the section "Submitting your Patches" mentions this very problem

but from

* apr.apache.org
   click on "Contributing" under Guidelines to get to information on patches
   but the "Submitting your Patches" section does not suggest creating a
   bugzilla PR to make sure it is noticed

Any folks mind if I update the APR "Submitting your Patches" section to use
text similar to that at

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/patches.html

???

Re: to the non-committer folks in our communities...

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

--
Nick Kew