Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ma...@hbinc.com on 2004/09/02 19:23:40 UTC

Apache to Microsoft: who needs Sender-ID?

Re: Apache to Microsoft: who needs Sender-ID?

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
>How is it you can file for a patent on something long after it has
>come into common useage and is already available from multiple
>independent sources?

A most interesting question, since a patent must be filed within 18 months
(or maybe 12 months, I forget) after an invention becomes available to the
public.

        Loren

Re: Apache to Microsoft: who needs Sender-ID?

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
One five letter word: Money.
plus one six letter word: Lawyers
plus a surfeit of a four letter word: Gall

{^_^}
Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: Apache to Microsoft: who needs Sender-ID?

Posted by Steve Sobol <sj...@JustThe.net>.
Kevin Peuhkurinen wrote:

> Yes.   Although Microsoft has refused to disclose what they have
> actually applied for patents on, their license only applies to specific
> parts of Sender-ID, which seems to imply that they did not apply for
> patents on SPF itself.   In any case, it is certainly seems safe to
> continue using SPF for now.

Considering that they don't *own* SPF, it'd be interesting if they tried to
patent it. SPF was created by the CTO (?) (I think CTO) at POBox.com.

Apple Valley, California     Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.

Re: Apache to Microsoft: who needs Sender-ID?

Posted by Kevin Peuhkurinen <ke...@hepcoe.com>.

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com wrote:
> http://apache.org/foundation/docs/sender-id-position.html

More like "Who needs patent problems?"

The position appears to be 100% on patents and licencing, not on the
technology or the concept.

Next question: presumably SPF, though now a subset of Sender-Id, is
still unencumbered, and thus usable in SA 3.0?

--
Kelson Vibber