Posted to photark-dev@incubator.apache.org by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/23 19:21:49 UTC

PhotArk Roadmap

We are almost done with M3 release, pending one vote in the IPMC list,
and I was wondering if we should start thinking about a roadmap for
our next releases, aiming a 1.0 release.

PhotArk Core
  - Complete PhotArk API (REST Branch)
  - Create a PhotArk JS API
  - Simplify Authorization using SCA Policies

Cloud
   - Make feature parity (where possible) between PhotArk standalone
and PhotArk for GAE

Other Features
  - Add social features to PhotArk
(http://photark.markmail.org/thread/c43xfqv7keywd55a)
      - Umashanthi suggestions to make PhotArk more social seems very
interesting and it's something I had in the back of my mind for a long
time

  - Integrate with Facebook and other social sites to allow users to
share albums, pictures, and add "like" integration

  - Expand album subscriptions to support other photo sharing sites

Please, provide feedback, help us complete the roadmap by
identifying/suggesting new items.

After some discussion, I'll create JIRAs and link them on the Website.

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > We are almost done with M3 release, pending one vote in the IPMC list,
> > and I was wondering if we should start thinking about a roadmap for
> > our next releases, aiming a 1.0 release.
> >
> > PhotArk Core
> >  - Complete PhotArk API (REST Branch)
> >  - Create a PhotArk JS API
> >  - Simplify Authorization using SCA Policies
> >
> > Cloud
> >   - Make feature parity (where possible) between PhotArk standalone
> > and PhotArk for GAE
> >
> > Other Features
> >  - Add social features to PhotArk
> > (http://photark.markmail.org/thread/c43xfqv7keywd55a)
> >      - Umashanthi suggestions to make PhotArk more social seems very
> > interesting and it's something I had in the back of my mind for a long
> > time
> >
> >  - Integrate with Facebook and other social sites to allow users to
> > share albums, pictures, and add "like" integration
> >
> >  - Expand album subscriptions to support other photo sharing sites
> >

> > Please, provide feedback, help us complete the roadmap by
> > identifying/suggesting new items.
> >
> > After some discussion, I'll create JIRAs and link them on the Website.
> >

> I came across Face.com [1] yesterday, and it might be a good option to
> integrate face recognition into PhotArk. Maybe we could add this to
> the roadmap and see if there is someone interested in helping.

+1. Seems like it's a pretty cool and useful feature for PhotArk, which is
some few other competitive products also have. So it will be great if
PhotArk can have such feature.

 I would like to contribute to this idea.

--
sk

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Suhothayan Sriskandarajah <su...@gmail.com>.
On 2 February 2011 23:11, Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Luciano Resende <luckbr1975@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > We are almost done with M3 release, pending one vote in the IPMC list,
> > > and I was wondering if we should start thinking about a roadmap for
> > > our next releases, aiming a 1.0 release.
> > >
> > > PhotArk Core
> > >  - Complete PhotArk API (REST Branch)
> > >  - Create a PhotArk JS API
> > >  - Simplify Authorization using SCA Policies
> > >
> > > Cloud
> > >   - Make feature parity (where possible) between PhotArk standalone
> > > and PhotArk for GAE
> > >
> > > Other Features
> > >  - Add social features to PhotArk
> > > (http://photark.markmail.org/thread/c43xfqv7keywd55a)
> > >      - Umashanthi suggestions to make PhotArk more social seems very
> > > interesting and it's something I had in the back of my mind for a long
> > > time
> > >
> > >  - Integrate with Facebook and other social sites to allow users to
> > > share albums, pictures, and add "like" integration
> > >
> > >  - Expand album subscriptions to support other photo sharing sites
> > >

> > > Please, provide feedback, help us complete the roadmap by
> > > identifying/suggesting new items.
> > >
> > > After some discussion, I'll create JIRAs and link them on the Website.
> > >

> > I came across Face.com [1] yesterday, and it might be a good option to
> > integrate face recognition into PhotArk. Maybe we could add this to
> > the roadmap and see if there is someone interested in helping.
> >
> > [1] http://developers.face.com/
> >

> +1. Good Idea.Found a Java client library for face.com [1]
>
> +1 seems cool

Suho

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com>.

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Umashanthi Pavalanathan <um...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > We are almost done with M3 release, pending one vote in the IPMC list,
> > and I was wondering if we should start thinking about a roadmap for
> > our next releases, aiming a 1.0 release.
> >
> > PhotArk Core
> >  - Complete PhotArk API (REST Branch)
> >  - Create a PhotArk JS API
> >  - Simplify Authorization using SCA Policies
> >
> > Cloud
> >   - Make feature parity (where possible) between PhotArk standalone
> > and PhotArk for GAE
> >
> > Other Features
> >  - Add social features to PhotArk
> > (http://photark.markmail.org/thread/c43xfqv7keywd55a)
> >      - Umashanthi suggestions to make PhotArk more social seems very
> > interesting and it's something I had in the back of my mind for a long
> > time
> >
> >  - Integrate with Facebook and other social sites to allow users to
> > share albums, pictures, and add "like" integration
> >
> >  - Expand album subscriptions to support other photo sharing sites
> >

> > Please, provide feedback, help us complete the roadmap by
> > identifying/suggesting new items.
> >
> > After some discussion, I'll create JIRAs and link them on the Website.
> >

> I came across Face.com [1] yesterday, and it might be a good option to
> integrate face recognition into PhotArk. Maybe we could add this to
> the roadmap and see if there is someone interested in helping.

+1 !
It'll be really cool to have this feature in PhotArk

Thanks,
~Umashanthi

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I couldnt see the roadmap page. It returns page bot found for me.
>
> - Henry

You can find it at :

http://incubator.apache.org/photark/photark-roadmap.html

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have added a Roadmap page to our wiki, which will be live on the
> website in couple hours.
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PHOTARK/PhotArk+Roadmap
>
> --
> Luciano Resende
> http://people.apache.org/~lresende
> http://twitter.com/lresende1975
> http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Henry

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

RE: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Sinthuja Rajendran <r2...@hotmail.com>.
> I came across Face.com [1] yesterday, and it might be a good option to
> integrate face recognition into PhotArk. Maybe we could add this to
> the roadmap and see if there is someone interested in helping.
>
> [1] http://developers.face.com/

+1
Really very nice idea. I also would like to contribute!

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Subash Chaturanga <su...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Suhothayan Sriskandarajah <
suhothayan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24 January 2011 06:45, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Suhothayan Sriskandarajah
> > <su...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > PhotArk Core
> > >>

> > > Are we going to implement all these in the current REST Branch?
> > >

> > It's open for discussion, but one approach could be that we start
> > migrating pieces of what we have to the REST branch, and we then make
> > it TRUNK (moving current trunk to a branch or something)
> >
> > +1
>
> > But please, feel free to suggest new items to the roadmap, and
> > different approaches for implementing it.
> >
> > Thoughts ?
> >
> > We can Improve the gallery UI
> and show both local and remote albums together.

Hi, as a initial step to improve the gallery UI, the JIRA I created to
change the local JCR structure, which is almost finish, can be useful. Then
I can finish issue, provide UI subscriptions to remote albums, which i have
already submitted a patch ASAP. Then, the local structure separate local and
remote albums clearly. I think then, how about providing facebook albums
subscriptions other than flicker and picasa, as almost evreybody have a
facebook account ?

--
sk

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Suhothayan Sriskandarajah <su...@gmail.com>.

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Umashanthi Pavalanathan <um...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:11 AM, Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com>
> wrote:
> > I propose that we should create a web page of PhotArk road map and add
> all
> > the items and upload to our Apache PhotArk website [1].
> >
> > [1] http://incubator.apache.org/photark/
> >

> I want to have a discussion on the dev list first, as it gives more
> visibility and allow for better collaboration. Once we are settling
> down with discussion, additions, etc we can work on creating jiras and
> having a official roadmap page. That was my suggestion on the original
> e-mail.

+1

~Umashanthi

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com>.
I propose that we should create a web page of PhotArk road map and add all
the items and upload to our Apache PhotArk website [1].

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/photark/

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Sinthuja Rajendran <r2...@hotmail.com>.
> > I'd be cautions about flooding somebody's e-mail with tons of
> > notifications. Maybe an option to workaround this is to expose photo
> > feeds with recent added photos, modified albums, tags, etc and users
> > in general can subscribe based on their preference.
> >

> +1 for having user preferences.

Thanks for your reply.
It's a good idea to incorporate notifications.

> > > - And also we can add the the commenting functionality for the albums.
> >
> > +1

Thanks.

Regards,
Sinthu.

Re: FW: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Umashanthi Pavalanathan <um...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM, Sinthuja Rajendran
> <r2...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> It's open for discussion, but one approach could be that we start
> >> migrating pieces of what we have to the REST branch, and we then make
> >> it TRUNK (moving current trunk to a branch or something)
> >>
> >> But please, feel free to suggest new items to the roadmap, and
> >> different approaches for implementing it.
> >>
> >> Thoughts ?
> >
> > I'm currently going through the source code, and in the mean while I
> > thought to share some of my ideas.
> >

> > I hope making the PhotArk more interactive way among the users will be
> > another good feature.
> >

> > - When the users have been tagged or added for some user groups can send
> >  a notifications via a
> >
> > e-mail as other social web sites, this alerts the users and increase the
> >  flexibility too.

(1)

> I'd be cautions about flooding somebody's e-mail with tons of
> notifications. Maybe an option to workaround this is to expose photo
> feeds with recent added photos, modified albums, tags, etc and users
> in general can subscribe based on their preference.

+1 for having user preferences.

> > - And also we can add the the commenting functionality for the albums.

(2)

I believe (1) and (2) are part of OpenSocial integration (User activities
and messages).
Some details can be found at [2]-[4]

[1]
http://www.opensocial.org/Technical-Resources/opensocial-spec-v09/REST-API.html
[2]
http://www.opensocial.org/Technical-Resources/opensocial-spec-v09/REST-API.html#rfc.section.3.4
[3]
http://www.opensocial.org/Technical-Resources/opensocial-spec-v09/REST-API.html#rfc.section.7.3
[4]
http://www.opensocial.org/Technical-Resources/opensocial-spec-v09/REST-API.html#rfc.section.10

Thanks,
Umashanthi

Re: FW: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Avdhesh Yadav <av...@avdheshyadav.com>.

Re: FW: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

FW: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Sinthuja Rajendran <r2...@hotmail.com>.

> It's open for discussion, but one approach could be that we start
> migrating pieces of what we have to the REST branch, and we then make
> it TRUNK (moving current trunk to a branch or something)
>
> But please, feel free to suggest new items to the roadmap, and
> different approaches for implementing it.
>
> Thoughts ?

I'm currently going through the source code, and in the mean while I
thought to share some of my ideas.

I hope making the PhotArk more interactive way among the users will be
another good feature.

- When the users have been tagged or added for some user groups can send
 a notifications via a

e-mail as other social web sites, this alerts the users and increase the
 flexibility too.

- And also we can add the the commenting functionality for the albums.

Regards,
Sinthuja.

Re: PhotArk Roadmap

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.