Posted to dev@rya.apache.org by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> on 2017/11/22 22:55:35 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduation?

Hiya,

(Disclaimer, I have not crunched any numbers yet about diversity,
traffic, etc)

I was thinking the other day that Rya is "old" enough that we should
start thinking about graduation[1], and, if we don't think it's ready,
let's set concrete/actionable goals which people can push towards to get
the podling to graduation.

Thoughts/Opinions?

- Josh

[1] https://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation?

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
/me gets out soapbox

Let's remember that incubation at the ASF is *not* about technical
quality of the software. Incubation is about understanding the way that
projects are operated at the ASF. This means that the key areas are:

* A diverse community of folks working on a project (not just one
company, group, etc) to prevent the project from immediately dying if
that group stops contributing.
* The ability to make valid Apache releases (licensing/copyright
concerns and ASF policies)
* Community members who embrace community development and the "Apache
Way": all work and decisions done in the public, merit given to those
deserving, etc.

The podlings handling of their last release (and licensing issues) gave
me confidence that they are very close. There will always be a "we
should fix $x", and that shouldn't be something that holds up graduation
(except in extreme situations around license incompatibility).

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation?

Posted by Puja Valiyil <pu...@gmail.com>.
Good to know!  I assumed it was a long and involved process.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation?

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation?

Posted by Puja Valiyil <pu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation?

Posted by Erik Bijsterbosch <e....@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation?

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
Yes, the status page at http://incubator.apache.org/projects/rya.html
definitely needs to be updated. This is not giving an accurate
representation of Rya's current state. The News section should contain
information about releases and new committers (see other podling status
pages for examples) and dates should be filled in for items completed under
Incubation work items. The status reports section also is not up to date.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation?

Posted by Adina Crainiceanu <ad...@usna.edu>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation?

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.