Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/19 11:40:18 UTC

naming: svn instead of subversion

a lot of things are named "svn" with subversion, but there is a few exceptions. i would consider
it good style if we just could stick to one naming: "svn".

examples:
~/.subversion
/etc/subversion
program files/subversion

this of course should only apply to file/folder names.

Re: naming: svn instead of subversion

Posted by "Jamin W. Collins" <jc...@asgardsrealm.net>.
On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 01:52:27PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 04:40:18AM -0700, solo turn wrote:
> > a lot of things are named "svn" with subversion, but there is a few
> > exceptions. i would consider it good style if we just could stick to
> > one naming: "svn".
> >
> > examples:
> > ~/.subversion
>
> Nononono. I already *have* ~/.svn due to ~ being a working copy ...

Exactly.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Re: naming: svn instead of subversion

Posted by Colin Watson <cj...@flatline.org.uk>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 04:40:18AM -0700, solo turn wrote:
> a lot of things are named "svn" with subversion, but there is a few exceptions. i would consider
> it good style if we just could stick to one naming: "svn".
>
> examples:
> ~/.subversion
> /etc/subversion
> program files/subversion
>
> this of course should only apply to file/folder names.

When you're dealing with an installation, or code is handling the directory
name, then we want it spelled out for clarity. For the user, we abbreviate
with "svn".

The '.svn' subdirectory doesn't obey the above rule for legacy reasons. We
started off with 'SVN' to be very similar to CVS's 'CVS' subdir. Eventually,
we changed it, but we kept the shorter name.

In retrospect, that was actually pretty fortunate because of the '~/.svn' vs
'~/.subversion' that people have pointed out.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/