Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> on 2010/11/19 11:16:21 UTC

Sample comments - was Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany SCA 2.0 Beta1 RC3

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 9:06 PM, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1, but with the same comments as RC2 about it being quite far from
> perfect and we need some more beta releases to polish things up.
>
>   ...ant

I agree Ant. One of the many things that needs attention....

I had a conversation with Mike off list about the confusing way the
samples are run at the moment. To a certain extent I'm hoping that
will be vastly improved when the command line approach is up and
running again. I'd like not to have to direct users off to
running-tuscany in order to run either getting-started or
learning-more samples. They should be able to go there and run them in
some generally consistent way. I notice a number of commits to
modules/shell. What the status of the command line options at the
moment. Is it sensible to start looking at this or should I wait for a
while?

Simon

Re: Sample comments - was Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany SCA 2.0 Beta1 RC3

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:17 AM, ant elder <an...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I agree Ant. One of the many things that needs attention....
>>>
>>> I had a conversation with Mike off list about the confusing way the
>>> samples are run at the moment. To a certain extent I'm hoping that
>>> will be vastly improved when the command line approach is up and
>>> running again. I'd like not to have to direct users off to
>>> running-tuscany in order to run either getting-started or
>>> learning-more samples. They should be able to go there and run them in
>>> some generally consistent way. I notice a number of commits to
>>> modules/shell. What the status of the command line options at the
>>> moment. Is it sensible to start looking at this or should I wait for a
>>> while?
>>>

>> The shell is usable as it is now. Here's a quick overview (of the very
>> latest trunk code):
>>
>> The easiest way to start it up is by building a distribution and
>> running the tuscany.bat in the distribution bin directory. To make
>> that easier i add the distro build to my environment path, eg:
>>
>> set PATH=\Tuscany\SVN\trunk\distribution\all\target\apache-tuscany-sca-all-2.0-SNAPSHOT.dir\tuscany-sca-2.0-SNAPSHOT\bin;%PATH%
>>
>> With no args it starts up and gives some help output, or give it a
>> contribution as an argument which will be initially installed and
>> started, eg:
>>
>> tuscany samples\getting-started\helloworld-contribution
>>
>> The getting started helloworld has an eager init so you should see
>> some helloworld output, and you can also use a shell command to invoke
>> the service, eg:
>>
>> invoke HelloworldComponent sayHello ant
>>
>> outputs "Hello ant"
>>
>> It should work for other sample contributions, eg to run the store sample:
>>
>> install samples\applications\store -start
>>
>> and then you can use the store app on a browser at
>> http://localhost:8080/store/ or do things like "invoke Catalog get"
>> which should show: [Item name: Apple, price: $2.99, Item name: Orange,
>> price: $3.55, Item name: Pear, price: $1.55]
>>
>> There are various commands to see the status of things eg domains,
>> installed, services, status. I think there is work that could be done
>> to improve things and make it a bit more usable like the command
>> output formatting, name of commands, help descriptions etc, but this
>> is whats there today.
>>
>>   ...ant
>>

> OK, thanks Ant. It sounds like that will work for the majority of
> non-webapp and non-osgi contributions. I'll give it a go.
>
> Simon

Have you or anyone had a chance to have a go with this yet? As we're
waiting till next week now for beta2 we've still time to make
improvements. The nightly build can be used to see the current state,
see the nightly build section at:
http://tuscany.apache.org/sca-java-releases.html

   ..ant

Re: Sample comments - was Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany SCA 2.0 Beta1 RC3

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.