Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Manuel Siebeneicher <tr...@gmx.net> on 2004/01/22 20:38:02 UTC

umlauts

Hi list,

I have some problems with umlauts (yes, my dictonary says that and I can't
find a better translation). If I type something like &uuml; or &szlig; in a
content index.xml I get an error while showing the serialzied document via
lenya. However if I use windows-coded ü or ß it works but linux one does not.

Where is the problem?

greetz
Manuel

Re: umlauts

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Manuel Siebeneicher wrote:

>Hi list,
>
>I have some problems with umlauts (yes, my dictonary says that and I can't
>find a better translation). If I type something like &uuml; or &szlig;

you need to define these as entities (e.g. within DTD or directly within
the XML)

>in a
>content index.xml I get an error while showing the serialzied document via
>lenya. However if I use windows-coded ü or ß it works but linux one does not.

these are not entities ;-) and so just the encoding matters.

Michi

Re: umlauts

Posted by Manuel Siebeneicher <tr...@gmx.net>.
Am Montag, 26. Januar 2004 11:28 schrieb Gregor J. Rothfuss:

> >> I also used the html-serializer with encode-param=iso-..., changed the
> >> document-template from utf-8 to iso-..., but nothing works with
> >> &szlig;. Only unicoded html is fine.
> >
> > You need to define this as entity, e.g.
> >
> > <!DOCTYPE ROOT_TAG_NAME [
> > <!ENTITY szlig        "&#SOME_NUMBER;">
> > ]>
>
> i strongly suggest you enter the umlauts directly

I've faund the mistake. MY Editor save the index.xml files in iso-* format. I
have changed that to utf8 and now it works with directly typing umlauts.

Re: umlauts

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

>>> Maybe your dcos are serialized with utf8. Try to use unicode codes
>>> instead of &szlig i.e. &#223; . Have you tried to use "öäü" directly?
>>
>> I also used the html-serializer with encode-param=iso-..., changed the
>> document-template from utf-8 to iso-..., but nothing works with
>> &szlig;. Only unicoded html is fine.
>>
> You need to define this as entity, e.g.
>
> <!DOCTYPE ROOT_TAG_NAME [
> <!ENTITY szlig        "&#SOME_NUMBER;">
> ]>

i strongly suggest you enter the umlauts directly

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
http://wyona.com                   http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya

Re: umlauts

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Manuel Siebeneicher wrote:

>Am Freitag, 23. Januar 2004 09:26 schrieben Sie:
>

>>On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 20:38, Manuel Siebeneicher wrote:
>>

>>>Hi list,
>>>
>>>I have some problems with umlauts (yes, my dictonary says that and I
>>>can't find a better translation). If I type something like &uuml; or
>>>&szlig; in a content index.xml I get an error while showing the
>>>serialzied document via lenya. However if I use windows-coded ü or ß it
>>>works but linux one does not.
>>>

>>Maybe your dcos are serialized with utf8. Try to use unicode codes
>>instead of &szlig i.e. &#223; . Have you tried to use "öäü" directly?
>>

>I also used the html-serializer with encode-param=iso-..., changed the
>document-template from utf-8 to iso-..., but nothing works with &szlig;. Only
>unicoded html is fine.

You need to define this as entity, e.g.

<!DOCTYPE ROOT_TAG_NAME [
<!ENTITY szlig        "&#SOME_NUMBER;">
]>

HTH

Michi

Re: umlauts

Posted by Manuel Siebeneicher <tr...@gmx.net>.

Re: umlauts

Posted by Rolf Kulemann <ma...@rolf-kulemann.com>.
On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 20:38, Manuel Siebeneicher wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have some problems with umlauts (yes, my dictonary says that and I can't
> find a better translation). If I type something like &uuml; or &szlig; in a
> content index.xml I get an error while showing the serialzied document via
> lenya. However if I use windows-coded ü or ß it works but linux one does not.

Maybe your dcos are serialized with utf8. Try to use unicode codes
instead of &szlig i.e. &#223; . Have you tried to use "öäü" directly?

You can also try to find out where serialization takes place and change
the encoding.

Dunno if this helps.

Rolf Kulemann

Always remember:
	"There is inherently no silver bullet." - F.Brooks

PGP/GPG public key:
	http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x6B4EA7EA