Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by phillip rhodes <rh...@yahoo.com> on 2005/06/05 17:25:57 UTC

ui design vs. tapestry

I am finding that the UI design for a particular page
that the client is requiring is causing me to have a
headache in regard to tapestry validation.  It would
not be a problem if I could just separate the
functionality into 2 different forms....

I have a checkout page that has a required validator
working for credit card information (credit card
number, bill address, date, etc).  In the same form,
there is a field for customers to input gift
certificates, promotion codes, etc.. as payments.
There is "Enter Another" submit button along with this
field that invokes a "enterAnother" listener.  This
listener will read the field and enter that as a
payment for their order.  Customer have the ability to
just enter the one promotion code they have into the
form and proceed in the checkout.

The problem occurs when one submits a enterAnother
listener, the validation for the entire form is
triggered.  While I understand that I could disable
this validation by binding the required flag to a page
property, I can simultaneously bind one submit button
to both a listener and a page property.

Anybody have any ideas how I can solve this problem?
Thanks.

BTW, This cart I am working on is soon to be released
with an apache open-source license.  It has 120 db
tables (already) and over 1meg of compile binary code.
 While code/table numbers do not measure quality, they
do measure my effort.  Features include portal/cms/sso
.  Tools are tapestry/lucene/hibenate.  Seeking help!
Send an email....  I also need a cool name for it;)
It will be professional-grade.

Re: ui design vs. tapestry

Posted by Mark Dillon <md...@gmail.com>.
How about having a separate ValidationDelegate for each form button?
You could have a "creditDelegate" and a "promotionDelegate".  I'm
assuming that when the user clicks "enter another" you just refresh
the page and display the value they entered along with a text field
for the new value.  In this case, you would check your promotion
delegate for errors in the enterAnother listener.  You would also most
likely have to clear the errors from the creditDelegate in this
listener since the user hasn't necessarily entered that information.
I'm not sure if you are asking how to do multiple submit buttons per
form, but here's a quick writeup on it if you're interested:

http://jroller.com/page/mdillon101/20050210#multiple_listeners_for_a_single

Hope this helps.  I'd be interested to hear more about your product if
you want to e-mail me directly.

Cheers,
Mark