Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Chris Hillery <ch...@hillery.land> on 2016/06/08 09:58:31 UTC

VirtualClusterDriver and friends

Does anyone know if there are users of the hyracks class
VirtualClusterDriver? It is launched by the script hyracks-virtual-cluster
which we ship, but I couldn't find any references on Google to that script.
It basically launches a quickie two-node Hyracks cluster as local processes.

It also uses the classes HyracksCCProcess and HyracksNCProcess, which are
utility classes for managing separate Java processes. I couldn't find any
other users of these classes either.

I'd like to revamp HyracksCCProcess and HyracksNCProcess to use the new
deployment stuff, and retire VirtualClusterDriver and he
hyracks-virtual-cluster script. This also allows eliminating those weird
toCmdLine() methods in CCConfig and NCConfig.

Thoughts?

Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Re: VirtualClusterDriver and friends

Posted by Chris Hillery <ch...@hillery.land>.
It actually looks like hyracks-virtualcluster-maven-plugin has very rough
duplicates of those classes; it doesn't use them directly. So I don't think
my change breaks that (I'm still able to build locally with all those
changes/deletions at least). But I will look more closely at that plugin to
see if there should be similar changes made there, or if perhaps it COULD
make use of HyracksCCProcess and friends to remove some code duplication.

Thanks,
Ceej
aka Chris Hillery

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.