Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Cliff Lam <cl...@reinfo.com.hk> on 2005/05/10 10:25:19 UTC

[OT] Help !! Too many select-box in one page

Hi,

My page has too many select-box in one page. The .html has 17XXX lines.

This make the page load for a long time to appear =(

Anyone face this problem too??

Please give me some idea > <" Thx a lot

Cliff

Re: [OT] Help !! Too many select-box in one page

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
Cliff Lam wrote the following on 5/10/2005 4:25 AM:

> My page has too many select-box in one page. The .html has 17XXX lines.

Nobody asked this, so I wanted to make sure, Are each of the select box
entries a "different" list? I'm assuming so, but sometimes for master
detail records where you have multiple select boxes that have the same
list of options (for example having to select a role from a drop down
for several persons), javascript and dhtml is great option. I'm guessing
you have a case though where each drop down is different set of options?
(If so redesign, as others have brought up, or just live with a long
rendering time.)

--
Rick

Re: [OT] Help !! Too many select-box in one page

Posted by rmanchu <rm...@gmail.com>.
i don't think u can do this on the client side. i suggest a caching
solution. something like this might be useful

write a small plugin that stores a Map at servlet context. The map.key
could be the table/form/field name. upto u. The value is a SQL statement
that retrieves the data for the dropdown/checkboxes [of the form
LabeL/Value using LabelValueBean]. anytime i need a dropdown or list of
checkboxes i just call the Map. if the map needs to be updated, u can
use another attribute that says if whether it is update. whenever an
underlying table changes, u can set it to false. Map is updated only
when there is a call to retrieve a list and if it is not uptodate.

HTH
riyaz

Posted by rmanchu <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robin Ericsson <lo...@localhost.nu>.
Cliff Lam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My page has too many select-box in one page. The .html has 17XXX lines.
>
> This make the page load for a long time to appear =(
>
> Anyone face this problem too??
>
> Please give me some idea > <" Thx a lot

Maybe some of the select-boxes can be rendered using javascript on the
clientside? Or maybe Ajax, since that seems to be popular at the moment :)

--
Robin Ericsson
http://robin.vill.ha.kuddkrig.nu/