Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Vishesh Jindal <Vi...@shapeblue.com> on 2023/06/06 12:17:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] Upgrading Mockito & phasing out powermock

Hi all,

I am working on upgrading Mockito's version & phasing out powermock. For new maven modules, I would request all to use Mockito's mockStatic instead of Powermock.

Why?
Powermock's last release was on Nov 2, 2020. The project seems to have been abandoned. Powermock has compatibility issues with Mockito's latest version as well.

How?
The only usage for PowerMock I could see in code was for mocking static methods. Since Mockito v3.4.0, it has the capability to mock static methods.
I plan to migrate tests to Mockito's mockStatic instead of PowerMock. This will have to be done module by module and will take some time.

I have prepared a PR here: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/7577

This PR upgrades mockito from v3.2.4 to v3.12.4 and removes the usage of PowerMock from utils module.

Let me know if you have any questions/concerns.

Regards,
Vishesh

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrading Mockito & phasing out powermock

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Your approach LGTM Vishes, and we need to ensure build stability and smoketests continue to pass as-is. It would be great if unit tests using powermock runner are refactored or supported/counted in the codecoverage.

Regards.

________________________________

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrading Mockito & phasing out powermock

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrading Mockito & phasing out powermock

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Good job Vishesh !

-Wei

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
Good work Vishesh!

Regards.

________________________________
great, thanks you for your persistence and effort in general.

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrading Mockito & phasing out powermock

Posted by Nicolas Vazquez <Ni...@shapeblue.com>.
Great work Vishesh, thanks!

Regards,
Nicolas Vazquez

From: Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 26 September 2023 at 11:15
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org <de...@cloudstack.apache.org>

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrading Mockito & phasing out powermock

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrading Mockito & phasing out powermock

Posted by Kishan Kavala <Ki...@shapeblue.com>.
+1

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
lgtm. go ahead Vishesh.