Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Gerry Duprey <gd...@Schools-OPEN.com> on 2003/12/04 17:05:47 UTC

Turbine - Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Howdy All,

I've been trying to get Turbine up and going as the base for a new webapp for
us and I've run into so many problems that I'm not sure Turbine is really the
right path for us.  I was hoping folks who may have gone through similar
experiences might be able to shine some light or at least let me know that
what I'm trying to do is possible :-)

NOTE: I have downloaded the TDK and got that to work.  However the environment
it uses (tomcat and torque) do not match the environment we're using, so while
I got the larger concepts of Turbine, many of the integration details are what
is vexing me.

1) Turbine and Hibernate
We've been using Hibernate for a while and have developed our own security
system (represented by objects that are hibernated).  I have seen references
to being able to use Hibernate with Turbine, but none of the examples I've
tried work.

In addition, it appears I'm going to have to recode either my user/security
system to match what Turbine wants or write some custom classes to integrate
what we have to turbine.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Any
pointers or where to look?

2) Rebuilding from source
I cannot get this to work.  I've downloaded Maven.  I've downloaded the
necessary java libraries (jndi, javamail, etc).  I've edited the turbine
project.xml to not depend on jdbc (maven can't find it even though it's
already in java).  When I build, I get over 100 compilation errors.

These seem to be torque related, but I really do not want to use torque for
our app (in fact, I can't.  If I can't get Turbine working with hibernate in
the next week or so, I'm going to be told to drop it).

I apologize if the tone of this is whiny at all.  Frankly, I'm just
exasperated.  In the course of just 4 weeks I've had to learn hibernate, ant,
turbine/torque, maven( only for turbine), velocity, xslt, etc.  My brain is
about fried and I seem to keep walking into walls here.  I'm a pretty
experienced programmer and very well versed with Java.  But all the parts you
have to learn to create a webapp seem overwhelming at times.  Ugh - sorry for
the rant  -- just blowing off steam there :-)

Thanks for any help, pointers or just words of encouragement anyone can supply

Gerry

--
Gerry Duprey
SchoolsOPEN, LLC

Visit us Online at www.Schools-OPEN.com

Re: Turbine - Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Posted by Jeff Painter <pa...@kiasoft.com>.
On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Gerry Duprey wrote:

> Howdy All,
>
> I've been trying to get Turbine up and going as the base for a new webapp for
> us and I've run into so many problems that I'm not sure Turbine is really the
> right path for us.  I was hoping folks who may have gone through similar
> experiences might be able to shine some light or at least let me know that
> what I'm trying to do is possible :-)
>
> NOTE: I have downloaded the TDK and got that to work.  However the environment
> it uses (tomcat and torque) do not match the environment we're using, so while
> I got the larger concepts of Turbine, many of the integration details are what
> is vexing me.

the tdk 2.2.01 was the last official release of the tdk. it is also built
against tomcat 4.0.x so if you need greater than that you probably
shouldn't use the tdk right now

> 1) Turbine and Hibernate
> We've been using Hibernate for a while and have developed our own security
> system (represented by objects that are hibernated).  I have seen references
> to being able to use Hibernate with Turbine, but none of the examples I've
> tried work.
>
> In addition, it appears I'm going to have to recode either my user/security
> system to match what Turbine wants or write some custom classes to integrate
> what we have to turbine.  Has anyone had any experience with this?  Any
> pointers or where to look?

Eric Pugh has put some code in the TURBINE_2_3_BRANCH that has some
hibernate stuff in it

if you check out the jakarta-turbine-2 branch you will see
./proposals/epugh/hibernate
./proposals/epugh/hibernate/org/apache/turbine/util/hibernate
./xdocs/howto/hibernate-howto.xml

I haven't worked with hibernate so I don't know too much on this topic

> 2) Rebuilding from source
> I cannot get this to work.  I've downloaded Maven.  I've downloaded the
> necessary java libraries (jndi, javamail, etc).  I've edited the turbine
> project.xml to not depend on jdbc (maven can't find it even though it's
> already in java).  When I build, I get over 100 compilation errors.
>
> These seem to be torque related, but I really do not want to use torque for
> our app (in fact, I can't.  If I can't get Turbine working with hibernate in
> the next week or so, I'm going to be told to drop it).
>
> I apologize if the tone of this is whiny at all.  Frankly, I'm just
> exasperated.  In the course of just 4 weeks I've had to learn hibernate, ant,
> turbine/torque, maven( only for turbine), velocity, xslt, etc.  My brain is
> about fried and I seem to keep walking into walls here.  I'm a pretty
> experienced programmer and very well versed with Java.  But all the parts you
> have to learn to create a webapp seem overwhelming at times.  Ugh - sorry for
> the rant  -- just blowing off steam there :-)
>
> Thanks for any help, pointers or just words of encouragement anyone can supply
>
> Gerry

I went through the build process yesterday and finally got it to work. The
main thing is to make sure 1. download torque-3.1 source tree and run
maven plugin:install from the torque source

While you are required to use torque with turbine now, you still need it
to build turbine.

also, if you have a copy of the tdk_2.2.01 look in the tdk/lib folder for
copies of jdbc-2.0.jar that should work and copy to your
~/.maven/repository/jdbc/jars/ folder

I had trouble with the various versions of torque so I blew away my maven
torque repo and did the rebuild from the torque source. in your turbine
source then do a maven clean and run maven jar:jar

hopefully you will be good to go then.

hope you can make it ;) turbine is cool but 2.3 is proving to be a little
troublesome. I'm currently working on putting together a new tdk-2.3 that
will hopefully ease some of this trouble.  You may also want to look at
the maven turbine plugin as it looks very good at helping you get started
with your turbine app

Jeffery Painter

- --
painter@kiasoft.com                     http://kiasoft.com
PGP FP: 9CE8 83A2 33FA 32B1 0AB1  4E62 E4CB E4DA 5913 EFBC