Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2005/12/29 04:42:42 UTC

Some mean-spirited whining about the build...

I thought I'd have some fun looking at how to do the geronimo
security integration, so I started out by trying to build jetspeed
and get it running on something.  Here are a few comments that might
help out other new users.

The documentation uniformly claims that hslqldb is the default db,
but the build appears to use derby.  This makes me distrust
everything the documentation says.

The build forces me to  set a bunch of parameters relating to where
tomcat is, but AFAICT they are never used in the main build. After I
set them and run maven allBuild, my tomcat install is unchanged.  I'm
not sure why someone who wants to run jetspeed on say jetty should be
forced to set a lot of parameters that are tomcat specific.  Perhaps
the only checks for these parameters being set could be when the part
of the plugin that uses them is executed?

The maven plugin seems to require quite a few dependencies that are
not listed as maven dependencies.  The plugin expects them to be in

  ~/.maven/repository/org.apache.portals.bridges/wars

but on cvs.apache.org they are in

http://cvs.apache.org/repository/org.apache.portals.bridges/

which definitely seems like a mistake to me.

I also wonder why the maven plugin has so many portlet apps to deploy
hardcoded into it.  This seems contrary to the purpose of a plugin to
me.  Another design choice might be to have a plugin goal to iterate
through the dependencies in the project.xml and deploy specially
marked dependencies.  Then you could have a couple of example
projects using the plugin that deployed the full or min set of
portlet apps.  Although I'm not yet familiar with what the plugin is
supposed to do I think this might provide a useful prototype for
people to build other portals off of.

Many thanks,
david jencks

Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.
David Jencks wrote:

> I thought I'd have some fun looking at how to do the geronimo
> security integration, so I started out by trying to build jetspeed
> and get it running on something.  Here are a few comments that might
> help out other new users.
>
> The documentation uniformly claims that hslqldb is the default db,
> but the build appears to use derby.  This makes me distrust
> everything the documentation says.
>
> The build forces me to  set a bunch of parameters relating to where
> tomcat is, but AFAICT they are never used in the main build. After I
> set them and run maven allBuild, my tomcat install is unchanged.  I'm
> not sure why someone who wants to run jetspeed on say jetty should be
> forced to set a lot of parameters that are tomcat specific.  Perhaps
> the only checks for these parameters being set could be when the part
> of the plugin that uses them is executed?

We should clearly separate build and deployment properties so that a
build can be run without having tomcat (jetty in the future) available
on the build machine.
Since we plan to update the build procedure we should keep that in mind.

In addition a build (checkout) should run without any settings in the
~/build.properties file.

Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> Why don't we move ALL components out to the jetspeed components project?
> Yes, this does mean everything.... but if that makes it easier to
> build the system, and to reuse the components to build different
> configurations of jetspeed, then isnt that a good thing?

Would the configuration drive which components to build?

> Im going to give this a try...
>
> /portals
>     /jetspeed-components
>     /jetspeed-api
>     /applications
>     /bridges
>     /docs
>     /installers
>     /configuration
>         /j2ee-geronimo
>         /j2ee-tomcat
>         /j2ee-jetty
>         /j2ee-jboss
>         /j2me-geronimo
>         /j2me-tomcat
>         /j2me-jetty
>

> Here are the top level directories currently in J2:
>
> app-servers    - move to configurations
> applications    - move to applications
> archives    - do we need this?
> commons        - move to jetspeed-components/commons
> components    - move to components
> content-server  - drop
> design-docs    - move to docs
> docs            - move to docs
> etc        - move to configuration
> graphic_design  - move to docs
> installer    - move to installers
> installer2    - move to installers
> jetspeed-api    - move to jetspeed-api
> layout-portlets -
> maven-plugin    - move to configuration
> patched-jars    - ?
> portlet-api    - drop
> src        - move to configurations
> taglibs        - move to applications
> xdocs        - move to docs
>
> Basically we are breaking Jetspeed apart.
> There will be nothing left but configurations!
> We are victims of our own component architecture :)
> Thats why Im leaving the jetspeed name on both the api and components.
> We could also call these portals-api or portals-components or just
> plain components or api...but I think anything other than the jetspeed
> name seems a bit destructive. I mean do we want to kill the jetspeed
> name just after our final release? :)
> Or is jetspeed now nothing more than just another configuration of
> "components". I think the jetspeed team is in a funny situation. We
> want others to use our api and components, but we don't want to give
> up the ownership.
>
> I also think we need to make a pass over the components
> All of the components found under components/portals should be moved
> to top level components
>
> Are any of the components "jetspeed" specific?
> You could argue that the engine or the pipeline is
>
> As for the build, we need to switch over to Maven-2
> This refactoring and build conversion seems like a lot of work
> Using a branch to do so might be the best solution
> Its either that or we all stop developing against the trunk for a few
> days and work together to migrate

We should work against the trunk since creating a branch and then merge
it back to the trunk seems like a big overhead.
Once we are clear on the structure we could just split the work of
moving components and have it done quickly.

Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Jan 9, 2006, at 4:55 AM, Dr. Michael Lipp wrote:

> I have been using Jetspeed2 with JBoss for quite some while now,
> deploying it as an EAR.
>
> Basically, I agree with David. I use the tomcat-special artifact
> jetspeed.war as a start, split it in its components, reorganize them,
> pack a WAR for Jetspeed and WARs for the portlet applications and
> finally pack all of this in an EAR. All libraries that have to be
> "shared" (i.e. go into the tomcat shared directory) are excluded from
> the WARs, but added to the EAR and loaded as Java modules in the
> application deployment descriptor (application.xml). So, of course,
> I'd
> also rather start with a proper set of libraries, layout directories
> etc. and some assembling instructions. IMHO, this is what would
> constitute a "proper" Jetspeed2 binary distribution.

I like this description.

> What I dislike about David's approach is that it is too Geronimo
> specific. IMHO there is a "Servlet"-packing and an "EAR"- or
> "ApplicationServer"-Packing of Jetspeed2. The vendor specific
> deployment
> descriptors of all application servers can co-exist, so we need no
> vendor specific directories for the application server packing. The
> only
> issue that may require vendor specific handling is adding the "bridge"
> that allows the application server to access the user/password/role
> information maintained by Jetspeed2. But from experience, I know that
> several such modules can also co-exist in a single EAR that can be
> deployed in different application servers. (I'm not sure about David's
> approach: if you want to access user/password/roles information
> maintained by the application server in Jetspeed, then things are more
> difficult. But I don't think this is a good approach anyway. And
> thinking about it, it may still be possible...)
>
> So the bottom line is, please do not approach this by focusing on
> geronimo, as this will restrict the possible uses of Jetspeed
> unnecessarily. Whatever you do, do base it on the J2EE standard and do
> it at least for two application servers in parallel. Else you won't
> really notice when you are doing something the moves you away from the
> standard towards some proprietary specialty of the application server
> you use.

I think that is a very good point and I completely agree that biasing
jetspeed toward a particular app server is not a good idea.  I do
think that having everything needed to deploy jetspeed in the best
possible way on each app server is a good idea.  I was trying to
describe what I got to work in geronimo and explain how i thought it
might be possible to accomodate both geronimo and tomcats needs at
the same time.  At this point I don't share your hope that a single
ear can be deployed on several app servers.  For instance, geronimo
needs a geronimo-specific jetspeed valve in pipelines.xml.  Of course
it may be possible to eliminate this valve by use of JACC directly,
but this remains to be seen: it would certainly require some other
modifications e.g. to the session tracking code.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by "Dr. Michael Lipp" <Mi...@danet.de>.

Posted by Mikko Wuokko <Mi...@evtek.fi>.
Hi.

I'm not sure if this has come up already on this thread (haven't read it
so thoroughly and bit of topic too ;) ), but I just thought that it
could be wise and handy that all the version number of dependencies and
like so should be introduced as variables so that they could be easily
overridden in custom build.properties.

Like the izpack standalone-compiler version is out of date and the code
in installer/project.xml is like this

    <dependencies>
      <dependency>
        <id>standalone-compiler</id>
        <groupId>izpack</groupId>
        <version>3.6.1</version>
      </dependency>
    </dependencies>

if it would changed to something like this

izpack.version=3.8.0

.
.
.

    <dependencies>
      <dependency>
        <id>standalone-compiler</id>
        <groupId>izpack</groupId>
        <version>${izpack.version}</version>
      </dependency>
    </dependencies>

Probably most of the versions are defined like this as is in
${jetspeed.project.home}/project.properties, but using them consistently
throughout the project would make the updating to a new component more
simple.

Sorry to bother if this is already under consider.

-Mikko

Re: How to receive the minimize, restore, maximize event in portlet

Posted by Pham Tuan Minh <ph...@yahoo.com>.
I'm sorry because of my easy question.
Use getWindowState() funtion to check the state of portlet windows.

Pham Tuan Minh <ph...@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi all,
When user click on maximize button, I'd like to display pictures in 3 columns. Afterthat, When user click on restore button, I'd like to display pictures in 2 columns. I don't know how to receive the minimize, restore, maximize event in portlet. Can you help me, please ?

Thanks.

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Photos

---------------------------------

How to receive the minimize, restore, maximize event in portlet

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
[...]

I'd be happy to work on a patch for customizing the contents of
jetspeed.war, but I don't think moving the war build into  app-
servers is appropriate for a patch since mostly it would be an svn mv
command.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
David Le Strat wrote:
> David,
>
> What about a common-components section?  There ought
> to be common-components between all the projects.  For
> instance:
>
> - Component Manager
> - Deploy Tools
> - Rdbms
> - Security (maybe)
> - Prefs (maybe)

Yes it might help to categorize the components
There are so many of them.
Do you want to have a different subversion project for each category, or
are these just directories under the same subversion project?

> Thoughts?  Also, can we help out.
>
> Let me know.

You can help out by discussing it and keeping the discussion current.
Otherwise, its going to fall off as I can't do anything with out
everyone's full support. This is a major change.

I will not make any changes until we have a vote, and we have the full
support of all committers.

Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository

Posted by David Le Strat <dl...@yahoo.com>.
David,

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Raphaël Luta wrote:
> Ate Douma wrote:
>
>>Raphaël Luta wrote:

>>>Before a full blown proposal suitable for a vote I think there are quite
>>>a few detaiuls to work out, like:
>>>- making sure the svn:externals actually work as expected in the ASF
>>>setup
>>
>>Question: how are we going to provide specific tags and/or branches for
>>jetspeed-2
>>with such "trunk" links inside a tree?
>>I'm no svn guru, but it seems like that won't be a simple svn copy
>>action then anymore.
>>

> As far as I understand it, you'd have to create the tags in the "main"
> hierarchies /portals/components, /portals/apps, etc... and then update
> the svn:externals properties in your /porals/jetspeed-2/tags/xxx entry.
>
> It's definitely a bit more complex and error prone.
Seems tricky indeed.
If it provides us with all the benefits we hope for, I'm +1, but we should
investigate how other groups within ASF handle these things first.

>>>- which mailing list(s) gets commits messages for the various directories
>>>- getting some input from other stakeholders like Pluto guys or Cocoon
>>>portal guys (possibly Geronimo) about the optimal directory breakdown
>>
>>+1
>>
>>I don't want to restart the discussion we had about this subject last
>>month on
>>the general@ list, but I'd like to see a more architectural discussion
>>first which
>>components are to be considered not j2-specific or portals generic
>>before we
>>start moving things around.
>>

> I think the focus here is how to reorg the j2 tree along with a new build
> system to allow the configuation flexibility some are looking for here.
> The fact that it also helps other communities reuse parts of J2 is a
> valuable bonus, but ultimately just a bonus.
> Please remember that there's no such thing as a "jetspeed committer",
> "pluto committer", "bridges committer", etc... we're all Portals committers
> with write access to the whole SVN /portals so I'm not sure it makes
> sense to have a j2-specific/portals generic distinction.
I *do* know this.
I've no problem with sharing J2, but I think we should be careful with the outside view
on Portals and J2 in particular.
When we move large parts of J2 under /portals/components while they are (still)
very much J2 specific, we're might be blurring the distinction between Portals and J2
for the rest of the community.

> What would be your criteria for separation and how stable such a distinction
> would be in time ?
I think there should be a strong use-case for independent usage of a component
to have it qualify for separation.

> IMO, it's easier to decide that /portals/components is just a part of
> J2 to start with and put all components there.
I can see its easier, but what I don't see is what benefit it will bring us
(the whole Portals community) right now.
It'll make the build much more complex, and as of now nobody has yet even tried to
use any specific component outside J2. I'd love to see that happen, but why not
let it happen first? All J2 components are already available as individual maven
project artifacts so there is no technical reason preventing reuse outside J2.

Creating a /portals/components tree already so we have a predefined location where
to move generic components to once we identified them is fine by me though.

A related issue might be the packaging of such portals components.
Currently our J2 components all live under "org.apache.jetspeed.".
If they need to move to /portals/components should their packaging change too?

>>>- figure out a build system that actually works on such a beast
>>
>>I definitely would like to see it working first!
>>
>>Maybe we can create something like a "/reorg-test" branch copied from
>>our /portals root
>>to test these things out?
>>

> Sure, no need to mess the trunk ! Especially in this branch also serves as
> a testbed for the new build system.

So, where would we create such a branch: under /portals/jetspeed-2/branches or
/portals/branches? Note: there isn't a portals/branches yet.

Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
http://portals.apache.org/

Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository (Was Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...)

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Raphaël Luta wrote:
> David Sean Taylor wrote:
>
>>Raphaël Luta wrote:
>>

>>>What about simply moving the applications code to a different SVN branch,
>>>so that core and apps are checked out separately.
>>>
>>><snip opion 1 & 2>
>>>/portals/components/ -> core portal components
>>>    /trunk
>>>    /branches
>>>    /tags
>>>/portals/applications/ -> useful apps
>>>    /trunk
>>>    /branches
>>>    /tags
>>>/portals/demos/ -> demo stuff
>>>    /trunk
>>>    /branches
>>>    /tags
>>>/portals/jetspeed-2 -> full jetspeed 2 portal
>>>    /trunk
>>>        svn:externals components /portals/components/trunk
>>>        svn:externals applications /portals/applications/trunk
>>>        svn:externals bridges /portals/bridges/trunk
>>>        svn:externals demos /portals/demos/trunk
>>>
>>>(ie manage everything in separate hierarchies and tie everything under
>>> jetspeed-2 using svn externals property)
>>

>>+1
>>Should a propose a formal vote on this reorg?
>>

> Before a full blown proposal suitable for a vote I think there are quite
> a few detaiuls to work out, like:
> - making sure the svn:externals actually work as expected in the ASF setup
Question: how are we going to provide specific tags and/or branches for jetspeed-2
with such "trunk" links inside a tree?
I'm no svn guru, but it seems like that won't be a simple svn copy action then anymore.

> - which mailing list(s) gets commits messages for the various directories
> - getting some input from other stakeholders like Pluto guys or Cocoon
> portal guys (possibly Geronimo) about the optimal directory breakdown
+1

I don't want to restart the discussion we had about this subject last month on
the general@ list, but I'd like to see a more architectural discussion first which
components are to be considered not j2-specific or portals generic before we
start moving things around.

> - figure out a build system that actually works on such a beast
I definitely would like to see it working first!

Maybe we can create something like a "/reorg-test" branch copied from our /portals root
to test these things out?

<snip/>

>>Also remember that we have an installer now, and Ate is working on
>>enhancements to that
After being offline for a considerable time I'm going to look into the installer again
starting tomorrow.
I already have several changes and fixes locally which involves moving back to the izPack
installer (now fully ASF 2.0 compliant).
I found ant-installer immature and not comparable feature-wise with izPack by far.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Roger Ruttimann wrote:
> I'm in favor of having a portals applications branch that would be a
> different repository than Jetspeed. We should follow the same path as
> portals-bridges.

It all depends what you mean by "follow the same path as
portals-bridges". If we're talking only about the repository move then
defintiely +1 but I'd be very wary of creating specific community tools
for the moved code (ie mailing lists, jira, etc...) at least until
there's a known interest from an applications-only community.

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>>> Should a propose a formal vote on this reorg?
>>
>> Before a full blown proposal suitable for a vote I think there are quite
>> a few detaiuls to work out, like:
>> - making sure the svn:externals actually work as expected in the ASF
>> setup
>

> Could you explain a little more about the svn:externals feature?

I'm no SVN expert. I've used some codebases that were using externals
for storing different config sets and read the svnbook about it:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.0/ch07s03.html

That's about all I know. I'll ask for support on infra@.

> Im also going to read up on Maven-2 profiles.
>

>> I don't know if build goals are really the best tool to "configure"
>> jetspeed.
>> As far as I understand the situation, different "jetspeed packages"
>> could possibly vary from one to another based on:
>> - the spring assembly files used (that would control the portal features
>>   and select appropriate component implementations for the target
>>   environment)
>> - the portal applications bundled within the package
>> - the bundled runtime environment (defaults users, permissions, themes
>> and pages)
>>
>> IMO, some of these choices should be made at the source repository level
>> (like assembly files), some at compile time (maybe runtime app server
>> target) and some at runtime (choosing which apps to deploy or choosing
>> whther to create default user environment or not ?)
>>
> I like this idea. It clearly defines what we are building instead of
> hiding that information deep inside of a maven jelly plugin
>
> I see the different configs being the basic equivalent of the src/webapp
> directory in Jetspeed. Almost all of these directories can be tailored
> to a custom configuration, although we may want to factor out things
> like decorations and layouts since they can be used across all
> configurations.

+1. I think we have the same vision here, the issue is how to make it
work ;)

> IM just wondering how we should start this refactoring.
> Its going to require a new build for one.
> Maybe DDW has a point: lets try moving out applications first, and try
> to build them with Maven-2 and svn:externals. But Im just wondering if
> the components should be factored out first, since everything is
> dependent on components.

Yeah, build worries me. As I stated before, as long as the people that
are going to bear the burden of the change (ie the active committers)
are ok with any experimentation step, then I'm definitely +1.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.
Raphaël Luta wrote:

>Roger Ruttimann wrote:
>

>>Raphaël Luta wrote:
>><snip>

>>>If there's a consensus from the current active developers to go this way
>>>and move applications as a test, I'm definitely +1 but then I'm not
>>>active very often on the code so I'm not really the one impacted.
>>>

>>How much work is involved in setting up a subversion project for
>>applications? If we all agree to move applications into it's own
>>repository we should go ahead instead of doing it in baby steps which
>>might be confusing to portal users/developers.
>>
>>I volunteer to step-in in creating and maintaining the applications
>>subproject (svn/jira).
>>

>If we're talking just moving SVN to /portals/applications and having the
>commits made to current jetspeed-dev list then the work is very small
>(just a svn move and some svn configuration edit done by Santiago). The
>main issue possibly being that applications can be built alone, without
>being included in the jetspeed-2 tree.

I don't think this is a big deal. Just having the dependencies figured out.

Re: Reorganizing Jetspeed repository (Was Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...)

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roger Ruttimann <ro...@earthlink.net>.
<snip>

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Raphaël Luta wrote:

>>>Before a full blown proposal suitable for a vote I think there are quite
>>>a few detaiuls to work out, like:
>>>- making sure the svn:externals actually work as expected in the ASF
>>>setup
>>>- which mailing list(s) gets commits messages for the various directories
>>

>>My gut says the general list.
>>

> I'm not sure, general is meant for healthy discussion on global Portals
> not commit reviews :)
> If the goal is to broaden the participation of the whole Portals
> developer tto these various components, I'd then rather have a
> commits@portals.apache.org that gets commit messages from *all* the
> /portals sub-directories instead of the current jetspeed-dev,
> bridges-commits and pluto-scm.
>
> That would make a lot of sense to me and could be a baby step towards
> more cooperation between the different sub-projects.

Ok, I agree!

>>>- getting some input from other stakeholders like Pluto guys or Cocoon
>>>portal guys (possibly Geronimo) about the optimal directory breakdown
>>
>>I think it will help spur cooperation between the groups . . .
>>

> yeah, but where would Pluto fit in such an organisation, after all with
> 1.1, it's also a Spring component based application, no ?
> Maybe it would make sense to reorg Pluto at the same time.

Yes, definately.  I've I don't have my hands 100% around what pluto can
leverage, but I definately think that there's overlap to be gotten rid of.

>>>- figure out a build system that actually works on such a beast
>>

>>Yes, this is a big consideration if we move everything at once.  I
>>wonder if a better approach is to start with just one of the items (I'd
>>recomend applications).  That seems like a baby step in the right
>>direction.
>>

> Even if we don't move everything at once, I'm not comfortable enough
> with svn:externals to be sure that there are no side-effects to such a move.

Fair enough.

> I'm all for incremental change instead of big bang, I'd just like to
> know for a fact that the end goal is actually realistic and that we're
> not going to land too roughly. Reorg/build change is disruptive so we
> should aim for a stable situation that suits everyone as soon as possible.
>
> I think I'll go and ask for help on the infra@ list. Some people
> probably have experiences on svn:extrenals on a ASF-like repository
> structure.

I remember discussions about this on the struts mailing lists a while
back.  I believe that the struts-chain branch uses (or used) them.  A
quick google on "apache svn:externals" indicates that maven, and struts
use them and cocoon had a discussion about it.  I wonder if any of the
cocoon guys on this list want to fill us in on their experience with
externals.

David

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

David Sean Taylor wrote:
> Raphaël Luta wrote:
>
>> What about simply moving the applications code to a different SVN branch,
>> so that core and apps are checked out separately.
>>
>> It can be either:
>>
>> /portals/jetspeed-2/ -> portal core
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>> /portals/applications/ ->applications
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>>
>> (2 different checkouts)
>>
>> or
>>
>> /portals/jetspeed-2/
>>     core/
>>         trunk/
>>         branches/
>>         tags/
>>     applications/
>>         trunk
>>         branches/
>>         tags/
>>
>> (either one full checkout or 2 separate checkouts)
>>
>> or even better
>>
>> /portals/components/ -> core portal components
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>> /portals/applications/ -> useful apps
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>> /portals/demos/ -> demo stuff
>>     /trunk
>>     /branches
>>     /tags
>> /portals/jetspeed-2 -> full jetspeed 2 portal
>>     /trunk
>>         svn:externals components /portals/components/trunk
>>         svn:externals applications /portals/applications/trunk
>>         svn:externals bridges /portals/bridges/trunk
>>         svn:externals demos /portals/demos/trunk
>>
>> (ie manage everything in separate hierarchies and tie everything under
>>  jetspeed-2 using svn externals property)
>

> +1
> Should a propose a formal vote on this reorg?

+1, Yes.

>> We have many options to try and make jetspeed 2 codebase less
>> intimidating/cumbersome to first-time users/developers.
>> (I like the 3rd approach best if we can make it work as expected as it
>> makes it
>> trivial for other portals efforts to reuse and collaborate on the
>> different
>> components without getting the full J2 package)
>>
> I agree
>

>>> We we're simply trying to give people lots of coding examples using
>>> different Bridges technologies. I think it would be better if we did not
>>> hard code these demo apps into the portal.
>>>
>>> Instead Im recommending the default Jetspeed Portal would be made up of
>>> two webapps:
>>>
>>> 1) the portal itself
>>> 2) the jetspeed admin webapp
>>>
>>> all other webapps would be optional, and not included in the default
>>> deployment.
>>>
>>> I do see the need for an admin portlet, allowing you to download portlet
>>> applications, along with PSML pages, to add to the portal dynamically or
>>> at install time
>>>

>> I can see why you would prefer it like this but we still need to make
>> sure
>> it is easy for newbies / prospective users to download a working portal
>> with enough demo apps to get a feel of what J2 can do for them.
>>
> What if we had two different build goals:
>
> 1. ee  (enterprise edition)
> 2. me  (micro (lightweight) edition)

Just to start to get people thinking (realizing that it may not be time
for this yet. . .)

I think that in the Maven2 world that the approach we'd want to take for
this is to utilize the same goals but with a different "profile".

> This is something like the minDeploy and quickStart goals currently
> existing, but I think it would be more clear to have goals for specific
> configurations, or even app server specific builds:
>
> 1. ee-geronimo-portal
> 2. ee-tomcat-portal
> 3. ee-jetty-portal
> 4. me-geronimo-portal
> 5. me-tomcat-portal
> 6. me-jetty-portal

I'd also like to see an appserver independent build -- perhaps it would
only work for the me version.

> Also remember that we have an installer now, and Ate is working on
> enhancements to that

Yea!

Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:
> David Jencks wrote:
>> <snip>
>> The build forces me to  set a bunch of parameters relating to where
>> tomcat is, but AFAICT they are never used in the main build. After I
>> set them and run maven allBuild, my tomcat install is unchanged.  I'm
>> not sure why someone who wants to run jetspeed on say jetty should be
>> forced to set a lot of parameters that are tomcat specific.  Perhaps
>> the only checks for these parameters being set could be when the part
>> of the plugin that uses them is executed?
>

> My vote is to remove ALL properties required in the
> $HOME/build.properties. That causes lots of user issues

Definitely +1 on this. It is a pain for the casual developer of Jetspeed
like me.

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Mean-spirited Whining!? Ut oh lookout!

I thought you were taking a vacation?

I took off this week, much better for it, not feeling so mean spirited :-)

David Jencks wrote:
> I thought I'd have some fun looking at how to do the geronimo  security
> integration, so I started out by trying to build jetspeed  and get it
> running on something.  Here are a few comments that might  help out
> other new users.
>
> The documentation uniformly claims that hslqldb is the default db,  but
> the build appears to use derby.  This makes me distrust  everything the
> documentation says.

Yup. We missed a few places in the Derby conversion thanks

> The build forces me to  set a bunch of parameters relating to where
> tomcat is, but AFAICT they are never used in the main build. After I
> set them and run maven allBuild, my tomcat install is unchanged.  I'm
> not sure why someone who wants to run jetspeed on say jetty should be
> forced to set a lot of parameters that are tomcat specific.  Perhaps
> the only checks for these parameters being set could be when the part
> of the plugin that uses them is executed?

My vote is to remove ALL properties required in the
$HOME/build.properties. That causes lots of user issues

The reason for Tomcat specific parameters is that our source build only
deploys and works with Tomcat. Not Jetty or anything else.

We do plan to rewrite the build this month.
We are leaning towards Maven-2 and entirely rewriting the current plugin
Thus your comments are very timely and appreciated

> The maven plugin seems to require quite a few dependencies that are  not
> listed as maven dependencies.  The plugin expects them to be in
>
>  ~/.maven/repository/org.apache.portals.bridges/wars
>
> but on cvs.apache.org they are in
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/repository/org.apache.portals.bridges/
>
> which definitely seems like a mistake to me.

fixed.

> I also wonder why the maven plugin has so many portlet apps to deploy
> hardcoded into it.  This seems contrary to the purpose of a plugin to
> me.  Another design choice might be to have a plugin goal to iterate
> through the dependencies in the project.xml and deploy specially  marked
> dependencies.  Then you could have a couple of example  projects using
> the plugin that deployed the full or min set of  portlet apps.  Although
> I'm not yet familiar with what the plugin is  supposed to do I think
> this might provide a useful prototype for  people to build other portals
> off of.

I think you may have hit upon one of the major misconceptions with
Jetspeed, that it is very big. The demo apps take up a lot of space, and
in my opinion the demo apps, since they are not Jetspeed specific,
should be moved out of the Jetspeed repo and into Portals Applications,
where they can be downloaded individually if selected.

We we're simply trying to give people lots of coding examples using
different Bridges technologies. I think it would be better if we did not
hard code these demo apps into the portal.

Instead Im recommending the default Jetspeed Portal would be made up of
two webapps:

1) the portal itself
2) the jetspeed admin webapp

all other webapps would be optional, and not included in the default
deployment.

I do see the need for an admin portlet, allowing you to download portlet
applications, along with PSML pages, to add to the portal dynamically or
at install time

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software
david@bluesunrise.com
[office] +01 707 773-4646
[mobile] +01 707 529 9194

Re: Some mean-spirited whining about the build...

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/29/05, David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I thought I'd have some fun looking at how to do the geronimo
> security integration, so I started out by trying to build jetspeed
> and get it running on something.  Here are a few comments that might
> help out other new users.
>
> The documentation uniformly claims that hslqldb is the default db,
> but the build appears to use derby.  This makes me distrust
> everything the documentation says.

I will patch the places in the documention where hsqldb is mentioned.

> The build forces me to  set a bunch of parameters relating to where
> tomcat is, but AFAICT they are never used in the main build. After I
> set them and run maven allBuild, my tomcat install is unchanged.  I'm
> not sure why someone who wants to run jetspeed on say jetty should be
> forced to set a lot of parameters that are tomcat specific.  Perhaps
> the only checks for these parameters being set could be when the part
> of the plugin that uses them is executed?

That is a good idea. I'll look into that.

> The maven plugin seems to require quite a few dependencies that are
> not listed as maven dependencies.  The plugin expects them to be in
>
>   ~/.maven/repository/org.apache.portals.bridges/wars
>
> but on cvs.apache.org they are in
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/repository/org.apache.portals.bridges/
>
> which definitely seems like a mistake to me.
>
> I also wonder why the maven plugin has so many portlet apps to deploy
> hardcoded into it.  This seems contrary to the purpose of a plugin to
> me.  Another design choice might be to have a plugin goal to iterate
> through the dependencies in the project.xml and deploy specially
> marked dependencies.  Then you could have a couple of example
> projects using the plugin that deployed the full or min set of
> portlet apps.  Although I'm not yet familiar with what the plugin is
> supposed to do I think this might provide a useful prototype for
> people to build other portals off of.
>
> Many thanks,
> david jencks

Philip Donaghy