Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org> on 2017/10/04 12:17:32 UTC

documentation suggestions

I would like to propose some changes to the Ignite documentation:

   - Under Basic Concepts add the following pages:
      - "How to load data"
      - "SQL vs Scan"
      - "SQL vs Key-Value"
      - more?
   - For persistence section, add the following pages:
      - Write-Ahead-Log (WAL)
         - BTW, I could not find WAL modes anywhere in documentation
      - Main Store (or Checkpointing)
      - Configuration

Thoughts?

D.

Re: documentation suggestions

Posted by Sergey Chugunov <se...@gmail.com>.
Dmitriy,

There is a short description of WAL modes on the page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/IGNITE/Ignite+Persistent+Store+-+under+the+hood
.

Posted by Prachi Garg <pg...@gridgain.com>.
WAL modes is documented -
https://apacheignite.readme.io/v2.2/docs/ignite-persistence-23#section-wal-modes

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Denis,

Thanks for your comments.

The pages I suggested have to do with the "getting started" or "how to's"
for Ignite. Burying it inside of other docs will not make sense. That is
why I suggested adding them under "Basic Concepts" section, i.e. keep them
very visible.

D.

Posted by Denis Magda <dm...@apache.org>.
Please see inline

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 5:17 AM, Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I would like to propose some changes to the Ignite documentation:
>
>   - Under Basic Concepts add the following pages:
>      - "How to load data”

This should go to “Data Loading” or Streaming sections that appear at the top of the doc. We have more room there once new SQL doc is released.

>      - "SQL vs Scan"
>      - "SQL vs Key-Value”

Yes, it’s needed. The production readiness might be a good alternative to host the pages.

>      - more?
>   - For persistence section, add the following pages:
>      - Write-Ahead-Log (WAL)
>         - BTW, I could not find WAL modes anywhere in documentation
>      - Main Store (or Checkpointing)

Presently, everything is in a good fit on a single persistence page. The navigation menu on the readme.io <http://readme.io/> is lengthy and might scary the one who sets off Ignite journey. It takes several seconds to scroll it down to brace for the volume you should absorb. Let’s release the new SQL doc and see how much space is free there before extracting pages out of the paragraphs. Also we can try out subpages.

WAL modes documentation: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-6558 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-6558>

—
Denis