Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> on 2016/07/17 09:08:38 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.9.RC2 as 0.9

Hello IPMC and lurkers,
This is a vote to release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.9.RC2 as 0.9.

Podling vote thread is at:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9fd77b14753bbde462bea06fc2e1c03d5cf5a89cea2fabd6751d805a@%3Cdev.ponymail.apache.org%3E

The release artefact can be found at:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/
Specifically, this is a vote on
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/apache-pony-mail-0.9.RC2-incubating.tar.gz

The git hash for the current 0.9.RC2 head is:
116797982cec1e483349ed48a397e0b0cdad5b1d

Signing keys etc can be found in the same dir as the RC (
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/KEYS )

Change-log for 0.9 can be found at:
https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ponymail.git;a=blob;f=CHANGELOG.md

With regards,
Daniel.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.9.RC2 as 0.9

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

So far I've checked: signatures and digests, source releases file layouts,
matched git tags and commit ids, incubator suffix and disclaimer, NOTICE
and LICENSE files, license headers, absence of unexpected binaries.

Since the sources are a complex and there is no build need, I'd recommend
to added a test suite to verify the sources (lua or python) can actually be
interpreted.

Another thing I'd recommend to improve is the tarball: currently it expands
to just "ponymail" as directory, while I could expect "apache-ponymail" or
"apache-pony-mail", or even better "apache-pony-mail-0.9.RC2-incubating".

Congratulations guys for your first incubating release!

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello IPMC and lurkers,
> This is a vote to release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.9.RC2 as 0.9.
>
> Podling vote thread is at:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9fd77b14753bbde462bea06fc2e1c03d5cf5a89cea2fabd6751d805a@%3Cdev.ponymail.apache.org%3E
>
> The release artefact can be found at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/
> Specifically, this is a vote on
>
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/apache-pony-mail-0.9.RC2-incubating.tar.gz
>
> The git hash for the current 0.9.RC2 head is:
> 116797982cec1e483349ed48a397e0b0cdad5b1d
>
> Signing keys etc can be found in the same dir as the RC (
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/ponymail/KEYS )
>
> Change-log for 0.9 can be found at:
>
> https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-ponymail.git;a=blob;f=CHANGELOG.md
>
> With regards,
> Daniel.

Sergio Fernández
Partner Technology Manager
Redlink GmbH
m: +43 6602747925
e: sergio.fernandez@redlink.co
w: http://redlink.co

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.9.RC2 as 0.9

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
I should note that this vote will run for 72 hours.
Also, it currently carries one binding IPMC vote (me).

With regards,
Daniel.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
+1

There's a few files that need headers on them, in addition to what Josh
brought up.

- aaa_examples/README.md
- configs/*
- tools/* uses inconsistent headers

John

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> > Looks like they're using the hosted version in the site:
> > https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.3/jquery.min.js
>
> If it not bundled then there's no need to mention it in LICENSE.

Exactly. Just wanted to clarify where the runtime dependency came from.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Looks like they're using the hosted version in the site:
> https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.3/jquery.min.js

If it not bundled then there's no need to mention it in LICENSE.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.9.RC2 as 0.9

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

+1 binding

I checked:
- name continues incubating
- good signature and hashes
- LICENSE is missing a couple of things (see below)
- NOTICE is possibly missing NOTICE file from quokka? [2][3]
- Source files have ASF header
- No unexpected binary files in release
- No need to compile

LICENSE is missing:
- normalise CSS - contained within [1]
- glyphicons halflings font [4]

Looks like the the source bundles may be missing jQuery? It’s mentioned in license and needed by bootstrap but I don't see it bundled.

Very minor things:
- remove the first line of the LICENSE file

Thanks,
Justin

1 ./site/css/bootstrap.min.css
2../site/js/quokka.js
3. https://github.com/Humbedooh/quokka.js/blob/master/NOTICE
4. ./site/fonts/glyphicons-halflings-regular.svg

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.9.RC2 as 0.9

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 07/17/2016 06:03 PM, Josh Elser wrote:
>> +1 (binding)
>
> Yay!
>
>> * Verified SHA1 and sig
>> * DISCLAIMER present
>> * LICENSE and NOTICE look good after glance through source release
>> * Didn't find anything to explicitly build or any automated tests to run
>> (maybe I missed them?)
>
> Pony Mail is strange (in ASF terms) in that there is nothing to build.
> It just runs :)
>
> We'd love some tests for the UI/UX, but...from what I gather, you have
> to be slightly mad to get into UI/UX testing short of manually testing
> as a human being. We are however looking into that (see dev@ponymail).

Yup, totally understand. Just wanted to double check instead of just
assuming :)

>> * Verified commit ID in repo
>>
>> Things to fix for your next release (I don't _think_ these need to block
>> this release -- but would happily be corrected)
>>
>> * What about the images in site/images? Were these generated from an SVG
>> -- what are their origins?
>
> This is home grown stuff. The Pony Mail logo itself should be in SVG
> somewhere (if not in that repo, then in the site repo). I don't think
> there are any "sources" for the rest, maybe I have some Gimp/Photoshop
> files on my old hard-drive.

Cool. This seems like a good idea for most. Having an SVG is a nice way
to let people tweak over time (hopefully lowering the barrier to entry?)

>> * Need license headers:
>>      - site/js/dev/combine.sh
>>      - dockerfiles/debian/Dockerfile
>>      - dockerfiles/ponymail_httpd_docker.conf
>>      - docs/*
>>      - CHANGELOG.md
>
> Change-logs do typically not (at least in the ASF projects I've been
> involved with) carry a license header (who is going to use it??).
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions allows for
> this exception, I believe. We believe the same could apply to the docs/*
> stuff, which is why we haven't done it yet (we felt that it "cluttered"
> the docs, making them harder to read, and also that it was clear from
> them what they related to. The policy page states: "The expectation is
> that these files make it obvious which product they relate to") but
> we'll err on placing a short form license header in the next release :).

Understood. I think I just pulled up CHANGES from another project, saw
the header, and just mentioned it. Thanks for citing me the docs on it!
Seeing some more headers in the next release is fabulous.

>> Assorted other comments
>>
>> * Any instructions on the provided Dockerfile? :)
>>      - I did get it running, but can't seem to access it via my host
>> machine, only from within the container. Probably something I did (or
>> didn't do), but this seems like it would be a nice entry-point for users
>> to mess around.
>
> I hate Docker - there, I said it :p
> There is some way to finagle your way to open a port in the container
> and bind it to a port on your local machine, but I forget how, sorry.
> If I figure it out, I'll put it in the docs for next release (or someone
> else could do it, patches welcome :) ).

Haha, a soft spot :). I had messed around with -P on my `docker run`
which I thought was supposed to do that, but :shrug:. I assumed it was
meant to be some in-place example; but I completely understand if it's
provided as-is too! If I remember to circle around, I'll shoot at patch
over to dev@ponymail.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
On 07/17/2016 06:03 PM, Josh Elser wrote:
> +1 (binding)

Yay!

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.9.RC2 as 0.9

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.
Binding +1s:
 - Daniel Gruno
 - Josh Elser
 - John D Ament
 - Justin McClean
 - Sergio Fern�ndez

Non-binding +1s:  None
0s: None
-1s: None

With 5 binding +1s and no -1s, the vote has passed.
I will prepare the release and announcement once my break day is over :)